I love these. They are very versatile. As long as you can make the dough, you can fill it with almost any thing.

• 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 pkgs. of yeast
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening or butter
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 eggs

Traditional Filling:

• 1 lb. ground meat (beef or venison works best)
  • 1 onion
  • 1/2 lb. shredded cabbage
  • 3 cups shredded mix cheese.

Mix 1 1/2 cups flour with the rest of the dry ingredients.

Heat milk, water, and butter till butter or shortening is melted completely. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Then add eggs and mix, adding flour gradually, until dough is elastic and workable. Cover with damp kitchen towel and put in warm place for about an hour, or until dough has doubled in size.

While dough is rising prepare filling. You can use the traditional filling or get creative. One of my favorites is ham and cheddar.

Brown meat in skillet until half-way cooked; saute onions and mix in with meat. Stir in cabbage and finish cooking, cabbage should be soft by then. Add a little water and cover to steam if needed. Once done, take off heat and set aside. When dough is ready, punch down and let set for another 15 to 20 minutes. Then roll out and cut into squares. Put filling in the middle and put a few pinches of cheese on top of the filling. Pull up the corners of the dough and pinch shut.

Place on a greased cookie sheet and put in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until top in golden brown.

Servings: about 8
Time:1 1/2 Hours Preparation Time
20-25 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Learned from some German Mennonite women in Western KS

By MaLynn from Centralia, MO

I do enjoy making almost anything that requires a yeast dough, so will have fun with these. My DIL

is a very picky eater, but she likes almost any type of appetizer that is wrapped in a good dough. I can make them for her. :-)

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Can I ask if you can freeze these to be warmed up later? I think they would be wonderful for my Mom in law, but I know she would maybe eat 2 at a time , but would love to have the others in the future.

Sounds good almost like the empanadas I make! Where do Runzas come from?

Columbia, MO

Photo of a homemade hot pocket.
Runza (Hot Pocket) Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes International GermanFebruary 10, 2011