Making Hungarian Greasy Bread

Category International
Hungarian greasy bread is known by many names but consists of bacon grease dripped on bread then usually made into an open face sandwich topped with vegetables. This is a guide about making Hungarian greasy bread.

My husband is 1/2 Hungarian. During holidays we try to have this several times in the summer. It's called Hunky greasy bread or Hungarian Turkey. Here's how it goes:

Ingredients

Directions

You score the bacon with a knife and put it on a long fork like you use on a camp fire. The bacon will cook and therefore start dripping fat. You have the bread on a tray nearby on a table so you can reach it easily. As it drips you put the bacon over the bread and let it drip all over the bread surface. Then you gradually add the vegetables to the bread and drip more grease on it. The tomatoes are the last item you add. Be sure to drip more grease over the tomatoes too. Add a little salt and eat. It's delicious.

Here's my tip. We sat a cast iron fry pan on the grate over the charcoal fire. We cut up the jowl bacon in 2-3 inch pieces and placed them in the fry pan. When there was enough grease in the pan we took the bread and dipped it. This worked out so well. The whole slice of bread was coated and we saved very much time. It made the bread crusty and oh so good.

By Donna from OHIO

By Bette (Guest Post)
Top Comment

I was introduced to Hungarian Grease Bread when I got married. My in-laws had a long handled, cast iron press for the thick bacon pieces. We put the iron into an open fire, then put the bacon between the two sides of the press and would squeeze enough grease for at least a couple open faced sandwiches.

Top Comment

My mom and grandmother introduced me to this tradition years ago.
They called it "naw shosh" - would love to know if anyone knows how to spell this

Top Comment

Ever since I was a little girl, my father made this for us once a year in the late summer. His best childhood friend was Hungarian and made this every year. Dad carried on the tradition when he had his own family.

They always called it, and I don't know how to spell it, but it sounded like Jediskinya, or gypsy grease bread. We all LOVE it. Today is our first year doing it without dad, so it will be a sad occasion.

is this the donna from toledo?