Hunky Greasy Bread or Hungarian Turkey

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 104 Posts

My husband is 1/2 Hungarian. During holidays we try to have this several times in the summer. It's called Hunky greasy bread or Hungarian Turkey. Here's how it goes:

Ingredients

• Jowl bacon
  • Hard crust bread (Italian or French type)
  • Tomatoes sliced very thin
  • Radishes, minced
  • Green Peppers, minced
  • Onions, minced

Directions

You score the bacon with a knife and put it on a long fork like you use on a camp fire. The bacon will cook and therefore start dripping fat. You have the bread on a tray nearby on a table so you can reach it easily. As it drips you put the bacon over the bread and let it drip all over the bread surface. Then you gradually add the vegetables to the bread and drip more grease on it. The tomatoes are the last item you add. Be sure to drip more grease over the tomatoes too. Add a little salt and eat. It's delicious.

Here's my tip. We sat a cast iron fry pan on the grate over the charcoal fire. We cut up the jowl bacon in 2-3 inch pieces and placed them in the fry pan. When there was enough grease in the pan we took the bread and dipped it. This worked out so well. The whole slice of bread was coated and we saved very much time. It made the bread crusty and oh so good.

By Donna from OHIO

By Bette (Guest Post)
Top Comment

I was introduced to Hungarian Grease Bread when I got married. My in-laws had a long handled, cast iron press for the thick bacon pieces. We put the iron into an open fire, then put the bacon between the two sides of the press and would squeeze enough grease for at least a couple open faced sandwiches.

is this the donna from toledo?

Top Comment

My mom and grandmother introduced me to this tradition years ago.
They called it "naw shosh" - would love to know if anyone knows how to spell this

Nasas

Top Comment

Ever since I was a little girl, my father made this for us once a year in the late summer. His best childhood friend was Hungarian and made this every year. Dad carried on the tradition when he had his own family.

They always called it, and I don't know how to spell it, but it sounded like Jediskinya, or gypsy grease bread. We all LOVE it. Today is our first year doing it without dad, so it will be a sad occasion.

Yes - and what they called it - sounded like Jediskinya
But they used rye bread they bought from a bakery in Wilkes-Barre. and only onions and tomatoes. My grandfather was from Hungary.

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts

I was interested in this so I did a bunch of research.

I found this article on Wikipedia that calls it szalonna bread, after the fatback that is used. I've also seen it called greasy or dirty bread. Some recipes call for rye and other call for a crusty French bread. There are also a lot of recipes that call it Gypsy campfire bacon and recommend cooking the fatback over a campfire and then dripping the fat onto the bread. I'm going to have to do this when I go camping in the summer.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Szalonna_(bacon)

After some more searching, I found that kenyer is a rustic bread in Hungarian and I found this recipe that would translate into greasy or fatty bread, zsíros kenyér. It's not the same as your pronunciation but it is closer.

zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.com/.../fatty-bread-zsiros-kenyer.html

I found mention of names like jiddish kenyer, or judishkenyer too, which is very close to what you remember. I can't find anything definitive but I'm guessing that is from Yiddish or maybe Jewish. The Jewish culinary tradition will use chicken fat and drippings (schmaltz) so it's possible that it was named like this in some areas.

Hope this helps, it was very interesting to look at all the recipes and fond childhood memories of this delicious dish.

I was born in Toledo,Ohio. They call it Hunky Turkey.

I also grew up in Toledo OH and as you said, its Hunky Turkey and I absolutely love it!

Found this fun discussion about Hungarian Turkey because I just got some jowl bacon and was surprised my grown daughter says she doesnt remember having it. I was born in Toledo too and this was a summer thing my father made. Even as a kid who normally don't like onions or green peppers, my siblings and I loved this deadly concoction.

Dad would stop at the National Bakery over in "hunky" town and buy loaves of their Vienna bread. He'd crank up the little charcoal grill on the driveway (rain or shine) and we'd rotate the bacon on skewers over the hot coals until the fat was too much to hold and we'd then drip it all over the bread/veggies until we could feel our hearts stopping. Dump salt all over it and we were well on our way to cardiac arrest. Yummmmm.....

Oh thanks so much for sharing. I think this recipe is so unusual and I really want to try it. When looking into this for the site, I found the name "Gypsy Bread" and that is my favorite name!

I plan to make it when we camp this summer as it seems like the perfect campfire meal, sort of like meat 'smores. :)

A staple for many in East Toledo, OH. With my version, I use cast iron camp cookers and fill them with diced jowl bacon and drip it from them. After the grease is used up, I put the spent bacon pieces in a bowl to add to the top of the bread. Traditional green peppers, onion, tomato, salt & pepper.

Food and Recipes Recipes AppetizersJuly 9, 2008
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf19672336.tip.html