Homemade Pullout Shelves for Cupboards

My cupboards are very large and deep, so it's difficult to reach or see and then retrieve what is on the shelves toward the back. I found that medium to large cardboard box lids, plastic lids up to 4 inch depth and even containers of all sizes can help a lot.

Place the items on the lid that you have placed on the shelf and pull the front edge of the lid toward you. Voila! You now have a sliding, pull-out shelf that costs next to nothing and you can see and retrieve items with greater ease!

Try a few sizes and settle on the one that works best. I found sizes that use up most of the shelf space, or only what you want for that shelf. I used this technique with smaller lids and containers when we were full time RVers.

By Eileen from Big Bear Lake, CA

Great idea, never would have thought of that, thanks. I got the shelf pull out but they was to big for my cupboards so I took some of the shelf out but it was still hard to reach the back. Thanks again!

I found that old cookie sheets work well for this too.

Great idea! We do this, too. Works well for me - I'm visually impaired, short, and have bad balance.

I did that under my dresser for shoe storage.

Good thought! Sterlite has white plastic square storage baskets that have small square holes in them. I have one of those vertical closet "organizer" shelves that used to become a junky mass of stuff. Now I have added 4 baskets for underwear, socks, hose, etc. and I freed up a bureau drawer elsewhere to store linens.

Good idea! Don't know why I didn't think of it as I was using a similar trick already. I used heavy cardboard box lids I can pull out that have my canned vegetables and other goods on. I also picked up slide-on baskets from a dollar store & Big Lots that hold items over the top of other dishes. You slide the basket on the shelf and reach in to it to retrieve soup bowls or plates, etc.

Now that's using your head, thanks a lot.

I tried doing this but whenever I pulled the lid down from the top shelf everything I had on it came tumbling down. Thank goodness it was just lightweight boxes because if it had been canned goods it could have knocked me out!

Since then I have stuck with my step stool. Plus I only put things on the top and in back that I very rarely use so I very rarely have to get on the step stool to get at them. Besides, hopefully when I do my husband will be home and he's taller than I am!

Totes on shelves.
Organizing Shelves
Organizing KitchenJune 23, 2009
Man putting in Corner Shelves
Building Corner Shelves
Shelving composed of multisized cubes and rectangles.
Building Storage Shelves
A cat in a kitchen cabinet.
Keeping Pets Out of Cupboards
Making Wooden Locker Shelves
Making Wooden Locker Shelves
🎄
🍂