Armadillo Eggs

I love making these eggs for special occasions and hearing the conversations surrounding them, then the asking for the recipe, which I gladly give, and hope that you too enjoy making these "eggs".

These armadillo eggs are one of the best ideas I've heard of and tried. Spicy bratwurst sausage is molded around a jalapeños pepper stuffed with cream cheese to form an egg. What else could you ask for?

Ingredients

• 12 jalapeños peppers
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • Wilton Golden Yellow paste food coloring (or yellow food coloring)
  • 3 pounds spicy bratwurst sausage, casings removed
  • 17th Street Special All-Purpose Dressing, optional

Directions

Cut the stem ends off the jalapeños and use a small knife to cut the seeds out. Keep the peppers whole.

Put the cream cheese into a small bowl and use a toothpick to add a tiny bit of the paste food coloring (this paste is very concentrated, so a little goes a long way). Mix the coloring thoroughly into the cream cheese. Add more, if you need it, to achieve a bright golden color, like the yolk of an egg.

Transfer the cream cheese to a pastry bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe the cheese into the jalapeños. (You can make your own pastry bag by using a small zippered plastic bag and snipping off one corner.)

Divide the sausage into 12 pieces. Flatten each piece into a disk, place a filled jalapeños in the center, and wrap the sausage around it, pressing the edges to seal. Form the sausage into the shape of a large egg.

Smoke for 1 1/2 hours at 250 degrees F.

Slice to serve. The slices will resemble sliced hard-cooked eggs, with the colored cream cheese looking like the yolk. Serve with the dressing, if desired.

By Connie from Cotter, AR

I want to make these, is there any other way to cook them? I do not have a smoker.

I have also made this variation of Armadillo Eggs (and we also call them Armadillo Eggs!):

Slice whole jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds (I have to wear plastic gloves or my hands will be burning hours later from the jalapenos). I then fill each half with some cream cheese, not a lot, but just to level it off (or less), then wrap each half in bacon and secure with a toothpick, or you can put them on a skewer. Again, for the bacon, I take a slice of bacon and cut it into several pieces, you don't need a big piece. I'll either put them on the grill (if skewered) or you can put them on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven on 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. These are always a "sure fire" hit with company and are even good reheated. You can also make them ahead of time (if you have a bumper crop of jalapenos in your garden) and freeze them!

Enjoy!

Sausage Appetizer
Sausage Appetizer Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes AppetizersJune 30, 2008
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Cream Cheese Appetizer
Cream Cheese Appetizer Recipes
🎄