Removing Painted Wallpaper

I have fiberglass wallpaper in my kitchen. It has been painted with either oil or water-based paint. How do you remove it? I imagine that this must be a common problem since this type of wallpaper is absolutely everywhere.

By Charles from Oslo, Norway

Answers

I would say you have a very nasty job ahead if you must take this paper down. Is it firmly attached to the wall in all places? Like no loose pieces etc. Are you painting over it, or redoing with more wallpaper? What is fiberglass wallpaper? I live in the states and the only fiberglass I know is used for insulation. You need to wear a mask and gloves when using this stuff. If I were you, I would paint or paper over it as long as the paper was in good shape, not loose. What is behind this for walls? You run the risk of seriously damaging them if the paper pulls pieces off. I once tried to remover wallpaper and took out pieces of the wallboard. These walls were not plaster coated so this was why it happened. Any way it was fun work fixing the damaged wall. Can you go to a local paint/wallpaper store and ask for advice? Good luck with your project!