Uses for Out Dated Satellite Dishes

I am always seeing in the " free " section of the local paper.. "Come get it free satellite dish" there must be some sort of "good" practical use for those antennas besides letting them go to the dump? I am going insane trying to figure out some sort of use for them? Thanks for you help!
~OOO~
three_zeros (at) webtv (dot) net

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Good idea! It is something there are a lot of out there. The big ones are probably most useful for building but the small ones might make good costume pieces, etc. Here are some links I found but I haven't found much. I remembered the first one from seeing it in the magazine.

Reusing a big dish for a gazebo roof:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/index.php?page=arc&id=6802

Using them as a canvas for artwork:

http://www.artworkscincinnati.org/programs/proj_satellite.shtml

-Susan

try looking up info on making a solar cooker. You could line one with foil as a base.

My uncle had a tenant leave one in the backyard of one of his rentals. My uncle took it home and dug a hole in his backyard to fit the dish into and lined it with visqueen (I think that is what he lined it with) and wrapped the edges underneath the dish and filled it with water and added a fountain pump to it and put goldfish in it and stacked pretty rocks all around the edges. It looked very nice!

I am not sure if those are made of metal or not, but maybe you could use one as a barbecue pit in your backyard like the new styles people pay big bucks for to have a barbecue pit in the city. ???

How about a mosaic for objet d'art, sink (with hole drilled in bottom), indoor or outdoor fountain base. Put two mosaics together with hole in top for a closed fountain *

<*>

I wonder if you could use one for a birdbath.

What about making it into a sundial for your garden? IT would be beautiful, well when you're done decorating it, and practical. That way when you're outside tending your garden you wouldn't have to wear a watch and you still be able to keep an eye on the time.

We used one as a roof for an old glider (contraption with 2 swings that face each other and swing back and forth).

I've seen where people have spray painted the black mesh satellite dishes a pretty pastel color. Then turned them upside down & put them on top a 5'-6' post. Then hung "S" hooks on the round edges, to hang flower pots off the "S" hooks. Attractive. Nice recycling idea!! Anything to keep them out of the landfills. Also, could use the idea on one of the previous ideas about the fountain, but instead, turn it into an attractive flower bed holder!

Backyard living magazine showed a couple who had one of the old ones which is huge and they turned it upside down and attached it to some tall poles and made a little spot where they could sit under it.

I seem to recall seeing an article in a gardening-related magaizine that suggested using one for a shallow pond-like structure. On the other hand, neighbors of mine are researching the idea of using one for the roof of a dome shed to be built very soon.

Go here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/ and read the FTA forum. You will learn that these things are NOT necessarily obsolete, there are a lot of people who still use them for their original purpose.

I saw online where they are making gazebos out of the big 10 ft ones!!! Its awesome!!! Very creative and looks great.

Sharon

Is there anyone out there who knows how we can get rid of a very large dish in Sun City, Arizona? Thank you.

Can they be used as a fire pit?

Send all these used satellites to me! email me recyclesatellite@hotmail.com or call me 989-545-5978

I need as many as possible 100s even 1000s

we recycle them properly!!

call or email for shipping arrangments!!

Donate your satellite dishes to the Not-for-profit, sustainable art experiment -- Texas Sunflower Project. 18" Satellite dishes are used to form the "face" of the sunflower. For more information, please see www.texassunflower.org

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Old Satellite Dish
Uses for Old Satellite Dishes
Satellite Dish
Keeping Your Satellite Dish Free of Snow
hdtv
Saving Money on an HD Antenna
Old desk updated with new bright paint.
Updating Out of Style Furniture
Cleaning Dishes
Cleaning Greasy Dishes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 6:59:22 PM on 10.0.2.207 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.