Update: Duck Themed Bathroom

About a month ago I posted a request for help with a bathroom remodel project. Mocha/Tan tiles in a toddler bathrom with Ducky accessories. I hope all of the wonderful people that gave me suggestions see this. I took the idea from camo_angels to use a beach theme. I stenciled shells in the same color as the floor tiles and it looks great.

Thanks again everyone.

Tina from Atlanta, GA

Yellow and Blue Bathroom Redo

Yellow and Blue Bathroom Redo

Yellow and Blue Bathroom Redo

Great job, Tina!

Request:

I've just ripped off all of the 15 year old wallpaper off my toddlers' bathroom. The tile on the floor is tan (280E-3 Toasted Wheat on Behr palette). The back splash around tub is same cream with tan. I'm trying to incorporate a yellow and blue color scheme to complement the ducky decor but need some ideas since those two colors don't go naturally too well with the tan. Any faux ideas? Any other suggestions on how to work it in?

Thanks.

Tina from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

RE: Adding Yellow and Blue to a Tan Bathroom

sueey (Guest Post)

I think both those colors will go great with tan, especially if you use a rather light yellow and a turquoise blue. What about painting the wall one color and then painting polka dots of different sizes of the other colors? For example -- yellow wall and blue, cream and tan polka dots... We did this in stripes to incorporate that 1950's turquoise colored tile in our bathroom -- looks great, fun, and it was VERY inexpensive! Good luck!

Post by Persnickety Paula

I think that blue and tan go really well together; and if you were to use more blue and just accents of yellow I think it would look great. If the floor tile color doesn't appeal to you then you could buy bath carpet to cover it completely (J.C. Penney sells bath carpet) and it does make the floor warmer too. To bring in some color to the bath surround you could apply some (ducky) decals. How about a wallpaper border up by the ceiling to bring in more yellow- it would be away from the floor color and the bathtub color so it wouldn't contrast too much with the tan. Experiment with some painting techniques and different colors on pieces of cardboard or scrap wood; you could sponge paint, rag roll, spatter paint, use a feather duster dipped in paint-just about anything! I have even used crumpled up plastic shopping bags dipped in paint, and have even heard of people using bubble wrap dipped in paint! By painting on the pieces of cardboard you can then take them into the room and tape them to the wall to see how it looks to you. Good luck to you, and please share some pictures after you complete your toddler's new bathroom!

Post by camo_angels

With the duck theme, the tan can be a focus for a beach theme! Have different colored sea shell/urchin decals or stencils, or fill sand pails with bath items. Since you have a three year old, do you get the channel Noggin (for preschoolers during daytime); they feature a story book time with "Ebb & Flo" about a girl and her dog who live by the sea, pictures are relaxing and simple. You may find the books at your local library. think of the yellow and blue as sun/sky or sun/ocean when painting, if you have tile, paint accents of the colors with duck outlines. My youngest loves ducks, but we can't do much since we are renting. Would love to see what you come up with, how about posting a before pic?

Cate (Guest Post)

You can use all three colors by painting stripes of them up to towel rail height (just mask off with painter's tape, one color at a time; the widths can vary.) Or, you may want to do this with only one entire wall, and the others will then be easy to paint in any of the colors of the stripes) You could also make that entire wall plaid or polka dotted or blue-backgrounded with white ducks, yellow bills and tan feet. (Stencil-repeat) or tan wall with yellow ducks swimming on blue water line. Pick up the contrasting colors with shower curtain, bath mat, towels. Use duck theme in moveable ways so that as children age, items can be removed/replaced, and bathroom will retain attractive appearance.

Post by Mom2fur

Blue and yellow are actually complimentary colors, so they play off each other beautifully. Because tan is a neutral, it pretty much goes with everything. If you go to www.behr.com (the paint company), there is a color coordinator that will help you pick the colors that are most pleasing to you. (This doesn't mean you have to buy the product, it just gives you something to work with, LOL!) When you finish the bathroom, please post a photo. I bet it will be beautiful!

Post by camo_angels

Good luck with your project. I know the feeling of keeping up with that on top of little ones, mine are almost 4 1/2 and one on the 17th. I am still unpacking from 6 months ago!

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL JOB . GIVES ME SOME INSPIRATION TO THINK ABOUT DOING MINE LIKE THIS TOO

I remember when you asked for help with this. Very cute room! You did a gorgeous job!

WONDERFUL job! I've got a duck theme bathroom and yours is WAY better - I'm "borrowing" some of your ideas!

How adorable, Tina; I am sure you are very happy with it and proud that you did it yourself! I am so glad that you shared your after photos with us. I love seeing the creative things that people do with their homes.

How were the duck decorations that Tina has on her wall made (the ones in the dark blue and light blue circles)?

This is to Michelle (you were a guest post so I couldn't send you a message).

The yellow ducks I bought at Michaels. They are small wood cutouts. The circles are cork plant saucers in different sizes that I painted various shades of blue. The wood ducks are just glued on. I used handitack to affix the cirles to the wall so I wouldn't ruin the walls.

Take a look at this ducky bath accessories collection:

http://www.interiorplace.com/Ducks-in-a-Row-Bath-Accessories.html

I think it looks fabulous. It comes with shower curtain, bath rug, towels, waste basket and even wall border. I want this for my kids bathroom.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating BathroomMarch 3, 2006
Mallard Duck swimming in a lake.
Mallard Duck Information and Photos
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
🎄