Muscovy Duck Information and Photos

Category Ducks
The Muscovy duck is native to Mexico, Central, and South America. This duck breed is characterized by its large size, heavy body, warty lumpy red facial skin, and long neck. This guide contains Muscovy duck information and photos.

My muscovy ducks started dropping eggs in random places in my yard. I am new to this process and was wondering if this is normal? They are unprotected so I don't know what to do. I thought they were supposed to nest. Please help. All information on this process will greatly be appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

Do you have both male and female ducks? If not you can gather up the eggs and use them for cooking. They make great eggs to eat. If you have both male and female they will normally lay eggs in a nest area and hatch them. As long as the dog is just dropping them around the yard, they won't hatch and just rot and start to stink. You are better off picking them up and using them than leaving them lay around.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Gooding is 1 year old and a Muscovy Duck. My husband and I found Gooding and her siblings, Berry and Lawrence, at a flea market last fall. All three for the very thrifty price of $10! We had always wanted to have Muscovy ducks, and found these three to be so pleasant and interesting that we have gotten two more since then. And now, we have ten more, thanks to Gooding!

Gooding and the other ducks enjoy meandering about the yard, chasing flies, dipping and dunking in any reservoir of water they can find, taunting the dogs, perching on the picnic table, and sleeping under our van.

I was very surprised to look out the kitchen window a few days ago and see 10 wee little ducklings under Gooding's protective wings! Even more shocking than the fact that she had incubated the eggs in a hidden location without our knowledge. It was that we had thought Gooding was a MALE!

By Shawna from Paris, TN

Gooding and Ducklings (Muscovy Duck)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes