Browsing: Removing Pills From Fabric

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Pills From Fabric

Unfortunately some types of fabrics are susceptible to pilling, ruining the appearance of your clothing or linens. This is a guide about removing pills from fabric.

Razor For Removing Fabric Pills
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 28, 2012 Flag

It seems like it's always your old favorites that get those awful little fabric pills. Here's a tip that will help your favorite sweater go from worn out to like new again! Take a new disposable razor and lightly go across the garment. Use short strokes while pulling the fabric tight. Don't press too hard and be careful when going near the seams. Stop frequently to blow the pills out of the razor. Your clothes will be looking like new again in no time!

Razor For Removing Fabric Pills

July 27, 2016 Flag

We all have that favorite sweatshirt or blanket that accidentally got put in the dryer. Well there is a way to get rid of almost all of the balled up lint that has been stuck there. Just take a razor preferably new and run it over the fuzzies stuck to your sweatshirt. After you do that a couple of times just wipe them off the razor and keep going. This can work exactly the same for blankets, but probably smaller more quilt like blankets.

beforeafter

October 5, 2010 Flag

Remove fuzz balls from sweaters with a shaver. Go over the surface slowly and carefully with a disposable razor.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use an electric razor to remove pilling on any clothes. It won't cut the material and just shaves off the pilling. I use an old electric razor for this.

Great idea! Thanks, I have several sweaters I thought I was going to have to get rid of!

September 9, 2008 Flag

Instead of using a lint shaver, try using a block of pumice stone. Those nasty tiny pills, and small specs will disappear onto the stone. It's easy to clean the stone that once helped the rough spots on your feet.

January 24, 2008 Flag

How do I avoid pilling on clothes/sheets. I have cotton sheets that have this and this is rough to sleep on. Also my nylon nightgown is the same way. Does anyone know what causes this and how to prevent it, and how to get rid of it.

Sheila from Ontario, Canada

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Sheila

The best way to get rid of pilling is to get a razor and shave it! Yep, you heard me right! It works a treat. Just hold the sheet flat and taut and shave away!

Wow, I used the razor method mentioned in another comment and it worked like a dream! I finished my entire fitted sheet in about 5 minutes and it feels brand new again! People, seriously, just use an average razor blade and shave until they're gone. No need to buy new sheets! :D

Hi, Sheila. I've found that if I wash my sweaters and other knitted items separately, they don't pill as badly. Towels, for instance, seem to be the worst for forming pills on sweaters. Too, after fluff / air drying sweaters for only a few minutes, I lay them flat on either my bed or the living room floor: pilling isn't so much of a problem these days.

Hope these small tips help,

Rose Anne from Calgary

Read More Answers...

September 6, 2013 Flag

I have two questions really. How do you keep socks and other clothes from pilling? And how do you get rid of the pills after they form?
If there are just a few pills, I can snip them off, but especially the socks form more pills than I can deal with. I am tired of throwing away perfectly good clothes because of unsightly pills.

By Janus

Wash them inside out. For pills that have already formed, if they are only a few, pull 'em off (good project for when you are watching TV). If heavily pilled or white looking pills on dark clothing, I wouldn't bother. There used to be little shavers that you could use to remove pills but I never had any luck with them and don't know if they even still exist. I think this is one of those benefits of shopping thrift stores! An item's quality and durability is proven if it's already slightly used and still looks good!

September 9, 2008 Flag

I am searching for fired lava rock, in sheet form, approx 3/4 to 1in. thick to remove pilling from clothing. If you have information on where this can be purchased please let me know. Thanks.

Fran from Canada

I got mine at the dry cleaners.

A pumice stone from the drug store in the nail/foot care department will most likely work just as well and can be used for callouses, too, and most likely much less expensive ;-)

December 22, 2014 Flag

I use a sweater comb to remove pills from lots of different fabrics and it works great. One drawback is that it has only a small surface for removing the pills, so I think next I will try a suede shoe brush.

August 2, 2004 Flag

For some reason, I seem to have an incredible ability to develop pills on my clothing. What causes this and what can be done to eliminate it or at least decrease it? Sometimes I get pills within just a few wearings!! I thought that perhaps it was our water, as it is somewhat hard, but then I noticed that some of my clothes had pills down the front and back, but not on the sleeves! I've also noticed that some types of clothing/fabric pills faster than others. Is it the brand or the type of fabric used? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Jill

October 5, 2010 Flag

What is the best rated product to remove fuzz or pills from sweaters?

By Judith from Hollis, NH

Answers:

Removing Pills From Sweaters

I use a sponge and vinegar to remove fuzz from clothing, good luck. (04/08/2010)

By kffrmw88

Removing Pills From Sweaters

I use duck tape, make take some work though, good luck. (04/09/2010)

By sally54

Removing Pills From Sweaters

If the sweater is a tight weave, I use a disposable razor. Put the sweater on an ironing board so that the board is "wearing" the sweater (front on the top of the board, back on the underside. Make sure that the sweater is perfectly smooth on the board and carefully "shave" the sweater, removing the fibres from the razor with pass. Works like a charm and I've never damaged a sweater doing this.

Unfortunately, you can't use this method if the sweater has a loose weave. Also, you can buy inexpensively, battery-operated sweater shavers that work well too. I had one many years ago and wore it out. I haven't replaced it because I just use the razor now. (04/10/2010)

By Lori45P

Removing Pills From Sweaters

You can use a razor, it works wonders! Good luck! (07/31/2010)

By Hotdomo

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingNovember 29, 2012
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs
pill splitter
Splitting Pills
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:32:14 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.