Giving Pills to Dogs

Category Health
Dogs may need medication for various reasons, but most dogs hate to take pills. Getting them to not spit out their pills can require some creativity. This is a guide about giving pills to dogs.

One of my dogs suffers allergies during the warmer months due to pollen and pine needles. After being checked over by our vet, I was advised to give Rosie 2 Benadryl a day. As soon as I find a way to sneak it to her with food she figures it out and has learned to spit it out and then she runs off because she knows I'm going to give it to her anyway.

I've tried several different ways and accidentally figured out a way to give Rosie her pills without her knowing it. I have no idea why, but it seems I come up with my best ideas when I'm totally exhausted, late at night. I was putting the dishes away and caught a sideways glance of a mixing beater. I cut up a hot dog into 4 pieces and inserted the beater into the hot dog piece and it made a very snug hole in which I inserted a Benadryl. The pill fit perfectly and did not fall out and Rosie swallowed it without even tasting it. In the past I had been slicing the hot dogs to put the pills in, but they always fell out.

Sometimes I even surprise myself with what I come up with and I thought this was well worth sharing with all the dog people who enjoy and learn from ThriftyFun.

By CPJ from Madison, AL

A spoonful of PB&J helps the medicine go down. When giving a pill to a dog that doesn't like taking them, try putting some peanut butter and jelly on a spoon and hide the pill in it. Most dogs love peanut butter, and the jelly helps it slide down.

By Don

Dogs have always been a part of my life. Having pets means that it's likely you will have to give them a pill sometime throughout their lifetime. Generally, the dogs I've had have been pretty cooperative when I give them a pill. I've had a few dogs that I needed to hide the pill in peanut butter or cheese to get them to take it.

However, I have one dog now who is the most difficult "pill-taker" I've ever had. She is very suspicious of anything that is a little different such as peanut butter. She even suspects there's a pill in a piece of hamburger or chicken if I try to sneak the pill into something like that. Although I'm sure there are those who will disagree with the method I have found most successful (not 100% but close) in giving this dog her pill, I'm sharing this tip in hopes of helping someone who may find themselves frustrated at medicine time.

I make three balls out of 1/2 teaspoon of canned cat food each. I hide the pill in one ball. Then I feed the cat food balls, one at a time, to my dog. She always examines the first one so I never put the pill there. I vary whether it goes in the 2nd or 3rd ball of food. She only gets this pill every other day so ultimately she is not consuming very much cat food.

By VeronicaHB

I mix my dog's pills in cream cheese and haven't had him spit it out once. I know for a fact that this works really well.

To give my dog medicine, I dip a spoon into the peanut butter and lay the pills on the sticky peanut butter which my dog then devours. The pills go right down and it's funny to watch her licking her lips!

For dogs who need Cosequin (or other dry medications) but spit the pills out, take a small piece of regular cheese and cover it with 'squirt cheese'. Next, grind up the pills into a powder and sprinkle it so it sticks to the squirt cheese.

My vet told me to start giving my dogs regular pumpkin for the fiber. I give it to them in the evening meal. At the same time, I give medications.

Some of the medications I have to get very tricky with to get them to take it.

Wrap pills in the sandwich cheese slices to get your dog to take them easily. Mash the cheese around the pill and form a small ball. Mine gulp it down and don't even realize they just took a pill.

When I give medicine to any of my dogs, I crush them in a bowl and spread them on the food. Then, I put a small dollop of any pure meat (beef, chicken, etc.) in the bowl with about a teaspoonful of warm water.

We have a Yorkie that's 1 yr 7 months old. The vet found that Bella has a abnormal liver problem and now she has to take Denamarin everyday. She has been put on a vegetarian diet and cannot have any protein.

Before we realized that she could not have protein at all we were wrapping her pill in cheese and that worked great. Now we have tried putting it in bread and she spits that out. I have put it at the back of her throat and rubbed her throat area with her mouth closed and that worked a few times. She has caught on and gets very upset and has growled at me and tried to bite. I don't want her going thru this everyday and I don't want to either. Is there some other item I could put it in without spending more money. Her food is not cheap and has to be purchased at the vet's office.

By Tammy

Answers

Can you grind it up and put it in water or milk or some other liquid? One he's allowed to have of course. Or the food maybe? Is there a canned food you can give? Good luck figuring it out!

I'm not sure if these products will fit in with your dogs diet, but I use peanut butter or creamed honey liberally on a small piece of toast. I grind the tablet up 1st but you could roll the toast in a ball with the honey & pill inside.

I also had to give my doxie Denamarin for a liver problem. I used the chewable, which I broke in half (so one bottle of 30 pills lasted 2 months), according to her weight. Up to 6 lbs -1/4 tablet. 7 to 15 lbs. -1/2 tablet. 16 to 30 lbs. -1 tablet. It's chewable liver flavor so that might be the solution to your problem.

My picky dog didn't like the taste so I got Pill Pockets and she liked those.

Of course that would cost you more money for the Pill Pockets but I believe the Denamarin added years to my dogs' life so it was worth it to me. She left us last year at age 17. Good luck!

My husband and I have used whipped cream to give our cocker spaniel his pills for years. Just put the pill on your finger, put a dab of whipped cream large enough to cover the pill, with a little extra on top to make it hard for them to spit it out. Don't let them lick it off your finger, just slide it into the back of their mouths. You don't even have to open their mouth with your other hand (hopefully). Works every time!

I have a 4 year old chihuahua/corgi mix with a seizure disorder. He has to take a 100 mg pill twice a day. Peanut butter was making him gain weight, so I switched to instant mashed potatoes. I don't know if it has too much protein for your dog, but it's worth a look. Just nuke about 1-1 1/2 Tbsp of water in a small bowl for about 15 seconds. Add just enough potato flakes so that it absorbs dry within about 5 seconds and stir really well. I use the handle of the spoon. It molds like a play dough and makes a cheap, easy pill pocket substitute.

It's amazing how fast dogs can pick up on a pill being hidden. It looks like Bella has figured out the pill game and she's such a small girl.

This may sound silly but have you tried cooked / mashed sweet potatoes? They taste great and with Bella being so small you could probably get a good week's servings out of one and it is a vegetable. It's tastier than mashed potatoes and I haven't met any dog that doesn't like a taste of butter.

With any luck, Bella will absolutely love it and won't be suspicious.

Have you researched making your own dog food there is so much a person can do with vegetables.

You could make weekly batches and refrigerate them, it only takes a second or two to warm them up. Check the ingredients on the food you buy from the vet and perhaps you can buy edible dog vitamins and give her one as a treat.

You could count the small serving of sweet potato as part of a meal. My dogs get breakfast and dinner.

Thank you for your tip and my dog just started this medication too. My dog has not only liver situation but a heart murmur, she is turning 7 yrs old this month. She is very hard to give pills as she is a very picky eater. Been breaking the pill up and I hold her in my arms and my husband pushes it as far back into her mouth. Makes me sad but it say to give on empty stomach. Also just want to say sorry for your loss, I know our fur babies are family. Still mourning the lost of our previous dog 6 yrs ago. They are forever in our hearts

Anonymous

DEMARIN Can not be crushed and has to be given 1 hour before your pet gets breakfast.

My Jack Russell has been given amoxicillin 250mg capsules that he must take twice a day. Can I open the capsule and give him the contents in his dog food or must I administer the entire capsule, outside shell also?

Betty from Rindge, NH

Answers:

Giving Pills to Dogs

Leave the pill intact. You can hide the pill in a large marshmallow, and give it as a treat, or you can open his mouth and hold it open, drop the pull in the very back of his throat and use your thumb to push it down, shut his mouth and hold it shut and rub his throat, he will swallow it. On occasion, if not pushed far enough down the throat, the pill will pushed back out, so watch the dog and see if he starts acting like something is in his mouth, if so, retry. The worse that is going to happen is you get your pet's slobber on you and I'm sure that has already happened if ever he licked you. It is not as gross as it sounds, especially when it comes to the health of your pet.
Hope this helps,

Tina (12/12/2006)

By Tina Brown

Giving Pills to Dogs

I stick a pill in a piece of a wiener, or I will roll one up inside a slice of sandwich meat.
Works like a charm. (12/12/2006)

By carol

Giving Pills to Dogs

I have always put the pill in a spoon full of Cheese Whiz. It has always worked for me. The dog loves the Cheez Whiz.
P.J. (12/12/2006)

By P.J.

Giving Pills to Dogs

If your dog eats like mine, (wolfing the food down) and eats canned food, what I do is put the capsules on the bottom of her bowl, then the canned food on top of it. Mix it a little with a spoon. I have been doing this for a whole round of Clinimycin for 20 days and I have yet to see the capsules after she's done eating. You'll do fine. (12/13/2006)

By Lisa

Giving Pills to Dogs

I use a small piece of processed sandwich cheese slice and kind of smoosh it around the pill. My two think cheese is such a treat they don't even realize they are being tricked into eating a pill. I tried peanut butter, but the little one figured out she could lick off all the peanut butter and then spit the pill out. (12/13/2006)

By Paula

Giving Pills to Dogs

I give our dogs their pills, both are on rymadi for hip and arthritis problems. Both are youngish dogs, one will be 6 and the other will be 6 shortly after the first one. I give the pill in a spoon of moist cat food, a spoon of cottage cheese, or believe it or not a spoon of Cool Whip. Works every time. My one dog, all I have to do is say, want some cottage cheese, and she comes running for her cottage cheese. (12/13/2006)

By Rosa

Giving Pills to Dogs

What I did was to make a peanut butter sandwich and put the pill in side of it. He thought it was a treat. (12/14/2006)

By Joyce

Giving Pills to Dogs

Liver sausage. Just a little hides the pill and it slides down easily. I have an older dog and am careful about anything sticky that might not go down quickly. (12/14/2006)

By Janice C.

Giving Pills to Dogs

My daughter has a small older Dachshund who had 13 teeth pulled. He needed pain meds and an antibiotic. After much trial and error, peanut butter, cheese, ice cream, lunchmeat, we tried cooked link sausage which we cut into small sections, inserted the pill and he took it with no problem.

Good luck. (12/16/2006)

By pm omoth

Giving Pills to Dogs

As Tina says, to give pill some help going down, lift the muzzle higher with the palm of one hand under the chin and stroke downwards on the throat with the other until the puppy has swallowed. I rarely have to do this now though as my dog now watches as the pill is buried in some goodie and he then has to catch it. Down the hole without a blink. (12/31/2006)

By Carol W.

Giving Pills to Dogs

Just put it in a 1/2 piece of a Vienna sausage, use the other half to butter the dog up, it works. (07/21/2007)

By Gijoe

My chihuahua hates to take pills and I was afraid to hurt her by placing the pill down her throat. I put the pill in a pill cutter and pulverize it to a powder. I then pour the powder over some cottage cheese and stir in. She eats and never knows. I am happy not having to be the "bad guy".

By Janette from WV

Answers:

Giving Pills to Dogs

Some pills are meant to be taken whole. Have you checked to make sure this is an OK way. I put smooth peanut butter on my dogs and mix it with his food, but he is much bigger that Westie and he eats like a horse. (11/19/2010)

By Judy

We take a small bit of bread, place the pill in the center of the bread, and press with our fingers around the pill.

How can I get my dog (a 9 year old Westie) to take her pills? I have tried hiding it in every food possible. She always eats the food and dumps the pill on the floor.

Tips for giving dogs their medication. Post your ideas.