Make A Hot Dog Pill Pocket

One of my dogs suffers allergies during the warmer months due to pollen and pine needles. After being checked over by our vet, I was advised to give Rosie 2 Benadryl a day. As soon as I find a way to sneak it to her with food she figures it out and has learned to spit it out and then she runs off because she knows I'm going to give it to her anyway.

I've tried several different ways and accidentally figured out a way to give Rosie her pills without her knowing it. I have no idea why, but it seems I come up with my best ideas when I'm totally exhausted, late at night. I was putting the dishes away and caught a sideways glance of a mixing beater. I cut up a hot dog into 4 pieces and inserted the beater into the hot dog piece and it made a very snug hole in which I inserted a Benadryl. The pill fit perfectly and did not fall out and Rosie swallowed it without even tasting it. In the past I had been slicing the hot dogs to put the pills in, but they always fell out.

Sometimes I even surprise myself with what I come up with and I thought this was well worth sharing with all the dog people who enjoy and learn from ThriftyFun.

By CPJ from Madison, AL

Anonymous

Love your idea, CaroleeRose!

This is such a simple way to get pills into your dog. Thanks for sharing!

Your idea is brilliant! I guess sometimes success is part inspiration & part exhaustion! ;-) Thanks for the tip!

Nope, been there and done that with my 2 labs. They eat the hot dog and drop the pills on the floor. I have to have some canned food and either crush the pill or open it if it is a capsule and mix it in the food.

I only use a LITTLE canned food so they won't catch on to what I have done and leave the part with pill uneaten. Sometimes, I think they are smarter than me!

My Foxie, Topsy, loves pate, so about 1/2 teaspoon is wrapped around one of her capsules, as a treat, and it's all gone. It also helps that we have another dog, a Westie, Wombat, who is always there to have her treat too, minus pill, and Topsy knows that if she doesn't eat it quick it will be gone.

We use about a 2" piece of a cheesestick, but this is good too since my mom's dog is so smart she's figured out there's a pill in the cheese!

Anonymous

What a wonderful idea. Thanks.

I see you are using the Walgreens capsules. I had problems with my dog spitting these out. Then I bought the Walgreens coated mini tabs. They are the same ingredients, half the size and harder to spit out.

I even found an easier, quicker way to administer. My husband holds the dogs mouth open and the head back. I drop the pill down the throat, my husband lets go and the dog swallows. Give it a try.

2 PILLS IS TO MUCH TO GIVE A DOG
I DON"T CARE WHAT A VET IS TELLING YOU
1 PILL IS ENOUGH MAKES THE HEART RACE
BEWARE DON"T OVER MEDICATE YOUR PET

I just use a wooden skewer to make the hole. I have a black lab that has to take niacinamide 3 times a day for a nail disease, and a German Shepherd with allergies. Once in awhile, I'll find a pill on the floor, but for the most part, they get very excited when I tell them "Its time for a hot dog"

Anonymous

This heat pill would not think about going in to a hot dog!? Used bigger dog to eat and then she had to chew on it and found it and left it in the bowl!!

DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG HOT DOGS! Dogs cannot properly digest pork, and therefore eating hot dogs will cause pancreatitis.

Although hot dogs are not recommended for dogs due to the high sodium and other ingredients, I can find no information about pork being an issue. Here is an article I found that says plain pork is fine for dogs.

www.akc.org/.../

Do you have any resources to back up your claim? I would be very interested to review it.

Anonymous

Awesome idea, my ShihTzu Lucy sees me getting her pill bottles each morning and actually comes to me with tail wagging to get her morning meds! Best dog ever

Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 7, 2011
🌻
🎂
📓