Giving Dogs Aspirin

Category Health
It is important to consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any drug. This guide is about giving dogs aspirin.

My dog has tendinitis in her left hind leg. Can I give her any aspirin for it? If so, how much at a time? I would like to know because my dad wants to put her down. She won't eat. Can you help?

By Luna, Saya, and baby from Torrington, WY

Answers

Some veterinarians recommend aspirin for dogs who have problems with inflammation of some kind, but there are other things to consider when doing so. The dosage depends on the weight of the dog, so you'd need to ask your veterinarian what the appropriate dose would be for your dog and whether you should give it once or twice a day. One of the problems with aspirin or any other anti-inflammatory drug is that since it has a pain reducing quality in addition to the anti-inflammatory quality, the dog may FEEL better and become more active, which makes whatever is going on in the first place worse. Also, if your dog won't eat, then the aspirin will be very hard on its stomach. You don't mention the age of your dog or the weight and breed; knowing those things would be helpful.

The dosage of aspirin for dogs is 10 mg per pound, given every 12 hours. It is extremely important to pay attention to your dog's eating habits when administering aspirin. Dogs have no way to tell you their stomach is upset so you must watch for signs of this. If your dog stops eating while you are giving aspirin it is important to stop giving the aspirin.

My dog has arthritis in her hip. The vet told me to give her Entrophen, which is a coated aspirin. It doesn't dissolve until it reaches the intestines, therefor, it is easier on the stomach. If you don't have it in your state, ask your pharmacist for a coated aspirin. I wrap it in peanut butter so she swallows it whole.

You aren't supposed to give them regular aspirin. They however can take baby aspirin. 1 pill for every 10 pounds of weight is what our vet recommended.