1997 Ford Ranger Heating System Problems

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2-WD where the cabin temperature cannot be adjusted. It stays hot no matter what. I turn the temperature control knob all the way to the right and it doesn't effect the temperature. How do I fix this?

By Bimmerknut from Springfield, MO

There is another fix for broken blend door. You can remove the broken door by going through the bottom with a razor knife and following the recessed triangle, cut through it to remove and replace the door without having to go through the problem of removing the heater box. They actually make a kit to fix the problem cost about $130. go to www.heatertreater.net for more information.

Have you tried changing the thermostat?

December 15, 2009 Flag

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger. Problem: I have heat all the time. I have checked the temperature control it seems okay, as I can read a resistance change when moving the control. I think my trouble is in the door within the heater section under the dash. How do I split the under the dash plastic to see the door that work?

Thanks.
Dennis from Grinnell, IA

Answers:

I think your problem is the door. I have taken my 97 to the dealer and an independent and they both quote the same problem and the approximate same price for repair, $600.00. The big expense is the capturing of the freon from the system; that has to be done before the repair is made. If anyone hears different please post. (11/23/2007)

By TOMEEEE

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger which had the heating problem you are having. There is a small electric motor that sets on top of the heater box that was bad on mine. Also, the heater box where the motor attaches to the door (inside) the heater box was bad. There was no repair without removing the heater box. In removing the heater box the dash had to be partially removed in order to get the heater box out. Went to junk yard purchased a used one cost $75.00 plus I had someone to replace it, which cost $300.00. (11/25/2007)

Many Ford Ranger heater problems can be traced to broken blend doors. The HeaterTreater kit does a complete repair on the blend door malfunction that is common to 96-2004 Ford Rangers. Every Ranger in this range either has, or will have, this common failure. The kit can be found on eBay by searching "heatertreater" (one word). (05/14/2008)

By RangerRick

March 22, 2007 Flag

I have a 1997 ford ranger 4 cylinder 5 speed and I am having a problem with the heating system. When I am driving the temperature gauge stays at where it is supposed to but every time I stop at a light it goes all the way down to cold. recently the temperature here has been getting down below freezing and the truck's heat only works when I am pressing the accelerator and even then the air is only somewhat warm. I was wondering if anybody knows what the problem could be. I can't afford a mechanic right now but I can most likely do the work myself. thanks

Chris from Olney, MD

Answers:

Dont know much about rangers possibly a faulty heat sensor maybe check the library for a manual if you don't own one or ring your registered service dealers ask for a mechanic and ask them he may give you some ideas they are better to isolate problems as they deal with that model car may have been a common fault. .Are the electric fans kicking in by radiator when you stop unplug them just watch the temperature gauge really only need them in summer unless stopping for long periods.On older cars they used to put a screen up across radiators or front grills even covering half the radiator may help improve the heating in colder weather as long as material or cardboard is secure remember to remove when weather improves as could overheat. good luck brent nz (02/09/2007)

By rustyreks

Hi there -- Change to a hotter temperature thermostat for the winter months. That should do the trick. (02/09/2007)

By Marvin

I reckon it's low on anti freeze or the thermostats stuck.
If not follow rustyreks advice. (02/09/2007)

By eliphaz

HAD THIS HAPPEN IN MY SONS FORD TRUCK THIS WEEK. I stopped and got premixed antifreeze and had to add some. He said thermostat stuck on me too, but was glad I checked for low antifreeze
as it did need some, He has a chevy (02/20/2007)

By Janene Winkharthad to add some. Ho told me the thhad

Ford Ranger
Ford Ranger Heater Not Working
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceDecember 15, 2009
ThriftyFun
Using ThriftyFun
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
🎄