Cleaning Buildup Off Hardwood Floors

Category Floors
Certain cleaning products can leave an unsightly buildup on your hardwood floors. This is a guide about cleaning buildup off hardwood floors.

How do I clean the buildup on my hardwood floors?

By Kahlbrand

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I have had beautiful hardwood floors and always used small amounts of ammonia in the mop water every time I mopped. After getting them down to the real wood, I would wax, and start small amounts of ammonia mop water again to slowly strip off. They always shined great and never built up again.

Can you please tell me how to remove the residue from my Santos mahogany high gloss hardwood floors? With using Bona, Minwax, and several other products such as Murphy's wood cleaner, there is a dull film that I have been trying to remove for months. It's to the point where I can hardly stand to look at the floors anymore and was thinking about taking them up completely. Please send me an SOS on how to save my floor. Thank you sincerely for your reply.

By Glenda

We have dark mahogany floors that were factory finished. Anything other than water with a few drops per quart of dishwashing liquid leaves a sticky film that attracts dirt. We are actually having these floors refinished, because they are always dirty looking, no matter how clean you keep them. Wish I had better news.

I got rid of my high gloss finish after learning in two different houses that after a half day of cleaning, polishing and buffing a couple of dust motes made the floor look dirty. I refinished the high gloss floors in the house where I am now, to a satin (low gloss) finish and I still can't figure out how to make them look clean, without smears. They are light colored natural hickory and I just want them to look clean. I have tried every single hardwood floor cleaner made, dish soap, and they still look dirty as soon as I am finished.

Use Ammonia Free Windex to remove Orange Glo, Mop and Glo, Quick Shine or the like (we had all three on our Brazilian cherry distressed floors) from laminate or polyurethane finished hardwood floors. It is a 2 person job; one spraying, letting set for a minute or so, and then scrubbing with back of kitchen sponge-scrubber side, the other wiping up to make sure haze doesn't dry and reset with a clean damp towel.

This does require lots of elbow grease. It will be tough, but Ammonia Free Windex dissolves the build-up best and works better than any of the other solutions mentioned (including Bruce hardwood cleaner, it gets gummy and if floors are distressed it gets in all the indentations) and we find it to be the safest solution for your floors. We tried the others and speak from 1000 feet of back breaking experience. Follow up with steam mop.

For cleaning intervals, use Bona or Bruce wood floor cleaners and steam mop. You would be fine with just a vacuum and steam mop too. My wife mixes a little Pine Sol in an extra Windex bottle with water for general cleaning with the steam mop to give floors a germ free clean smell. And it doesn't streak.

Listen, this is hard work, but there is a solution that works without paying a fortune to hire a professional. Floors are now clean enough to eat off them.

By lanceb from Houston