Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

What To Do With Old Paneling

Pin It

I have a 60's cabin on the water in NY. I want to update the living room which is paneled, should I white wash or paint over it? I would be interested in hearing from someone familiar with doing this or someone who is a professional.

By Nancycm from NJ

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Wilhelmina [13]10/02/2009

We too had a 50's style home with tacky panelling. What we did was to to cover the joint lines with painters tape and then texture paint over all. We picked the color we liked (a light olive green) and mixed stucco into the paint. The walls were brush stroked in random semi circular strokes, giving an old fashioned yet contemporary stucco'd effect. We had a lot a compliments about the textured walls when we sold our house a few years later. The nice thing about this is that any and all imperfections in the wall (eg. joint lines or cracks) are covered and because the stucco is mixed into the paint, it doesn't flake and the color can be changed whenever you want. It sure beat the heck out of tearing down old panelling, putting up new drywall, etc. and spending a bundle of money.

By Lorraine [20]09/14/2009

You have such a pretty room. So nicely decorated.

By burt [2]09/11/2009

First wash walls to get any wax [pledge] off. Prime with oil base to prevent tannin,[coffee stain appearance] i like zinzers Cover Stain , smells bad but it goes away fast. when primer is dry you can see nail holes and seams. Fill holes and caulk seams, paint 2 coats finish .If nail holes are small just use Dap #33 glazing 1/2 pint will do room put on and rub smooth.

By Sharon weinberg [7]09/10/2009

We had dark paneling in a family room. We painted over it. It looks great and makes the room brighter.

By kathleen williams [23]09/10/2009

I would paint it, good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: What To Do With Old Paneling

***

What To Do With Old Paneling
***

I live in a house that was built in 1957, apparently when tacky wood paneling was in style; and after fifty years it has only gotten uglier! I can't afford to remove the paneling and drywall, so for a quick fix of color I decided to prime and paint.

I used the comforter to pick out colors for the color scheme. I bought Ace brand paint and primer. I have used other types of primer on the paneling in other rooms and found that it ran down the wall. The Ace brand is very thick and did not run at all and spatters very little when rolling.

My bedroom is now my most favorite room in the house!

By Paula from Christmas, MI

Paula's Bedroom Redo - Before

Paula's Bedroom Before

Paula's Bedroom Redo - After

Paula's Bedroom After

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

My house built in the 70's was all wood paneling and it has all been removed. Dry wall behind it was repaired and painted. It took us 2 years to do it all, but the results were worth it. Good luck from Nova Scotia Canada. The wood paneling is a fire hazard as well!! (01/22/2007)

By sharon l

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

When re-doing my parent's house, also from the late 50's - we chose to paint the blondish paneling with a white wash - which made it look "pickled" and matte, and quite fashionable! (01/22/2007)

By pamphyila

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

It really looks nice. Great job. (01/22/2007)

By Ziggee

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

It looks lovely Paula, and the room looks so much bigger. Well done. (01/22/2007)

By downunderchick

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

Hey Paula! Your bedroom looks beautiful. I have seen paneling being painted on the home improvement shows. It is much faster and cheaper than trying to take it down and repairing the wall.

I'll bet you're really enjoying your new room! (01/22/2007)

By Debbie52

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

Thank you! This is what I've been trying to tell my husband and not getting the picture across. I really like your idea of matching the paint to the comforter. I painted over blondish paneling in my guest room years ago, but have been hesitant to try it on the darker paneling! (01/24/2007)

By I love junk

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

Thank you, everyone, for your very nice comments. Your kind words help inspire me to keep going and continue covering all the other tacky paneling in my house! (01/25/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

If you'd like some texture on the wall - try this. Before painting, hot glue cotton cord or rope between the "panels" - where each groove is - then paint. Great idea for family or rec room. (01/26/2007)

By Deb

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

Hi: I did the same thing in my living room, now its also my favorite room. I stressed myself out for 15 years about the ugly paneling and like you, I am so pleased now.

Great Job. Judy (01/26/2007)

By craftermom1

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

Beautiful, Judy, just beautiful. You are a great inspiration to me; my living room will be the next room to tackle! (01/26/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

RE: What To Do With Old Paneling

It turned out beautiful! (01/31/2007)

By crazypete