Keeping a Butcher Block Outside

I have a very old and heavy butcher block. I would like to use it on the front porch of my old farmhouse. The floor of my kitchen wouldn't hold the weight. Will it hurt the butcher block to be outside?

By Lisa

I wouldn't do it. If it is a real butcher block, it is made of wood layers sandwiched together. Excessive moisture from rain and humidity can and will ruin it, causing them to separate. We have one in our kitchen that is about 153 years old. It has been appraised at $500. If I were you, I would see about reinforcing the kitchen floor with a floor jack or support beam from downstairs.

Please don't do it as it would ruin in the weather even if you kept it oiled. That would be a terrible waste.

You didn't say whether your front porch was covered or not if so, by all means oil it good legs and all and cover top with an oil cloth table cloth or piece of plastic and do so. I am sorry about my other post but I miss read it. I do woodworking and I also live in the south where the humidity gets to everything even in the shop. Do the best you can an use it where you can, just cover it outside.

The cost of jacking up her floor would be astronomical and if you don't own the jacks and the know how you could make things worse. One option we did with our old 1800's house was to go under it and put extra supports under it where the heavy piece was going and that worked for us.

The old house is gone now but the part of the floor we fixed like that was about the only part you could walk on when they tore it down. Yes we built a new house. Some folks can't do that and they own theirs but we didn't own ours but now we do.

Knife and Butcher Block
Butcher Block Care and Maintenance
Home and Garden Home Improvement FurnitureMay 17, 2010
Square Triangle Quilt
Squaring Up a Half Square Triangle Quilt Block
Make Steps From Cinder Blocks
Making Steps with Cinder Blocks
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
Butcher Paper Rolls
Uses for Butcher Paper