LoomsKnitting

A Cheap Pocket Knitting Rake

The other day I saw a "pocket knitter", it's rake knitting or knitting with out needles and is often used as a first knitting project for kids. After looking at it, I knew I could get my own for a fraction of the retail price, and I did.

I went to my local beauty supply store, and bought a wide tooth comb used for wet hair. The comb had 20 tines, they vary. It cost $1.50, then I went to my local craft store and bought a Knifty Knitter yarn pick for $1.00, I'm all set.

You tie a loop on the end of your yarn and slip it onto the first tine, then you e-wrap every tine to complete 1 row. Then you repeat the e-wrap for a second row, making sure your loops are on the same side. Using your yarn pick, you slip the bottom loop over the top loop and off the first tine. Working one tine at a time, you complete the row, leaving 1 row of loops. Repeat the e-wrap to make 2 rows again, and again, slip the bottom loops over the top loops.

Make a scarf, make blocks for a baby blanket, make potholders, you use your creative mind and go!

By ficklephonebug from Bakersfield, CA

That is a great idea! I knew $8 was way too pricey for that little thing.

Anonymous

Great mind yahoo!

Dar in Texas

Would you have a picture as I am a visual person. What does e-wrap look like?

Many thanks

Linda

Editor's Note We will be republishing this one with a picture.

What does e-wrap mean? Thanks.

HI I found a great site that has mini videos to show you how to work on the loom it is

http://www.deco  gloommovies.html

I hope this helps I will be going to the beauty supply store for a comb :) how clever Thank you

Hi!

E-wrap is a method of wrapping the loops, it resembles an "e", that's how it got it's name.

If you were to write a continuous lower case letter "e" in cursive, that is the same method used to e-wrap your yarn on the tines. It's hard to describe, but so easy to do! :-)

This site is the best sight I've found for visual instruction, I'm a visual learner also.

www.purlingsprite.com

I hope this will help you, good knitting

Fickle

P.s. I also made knitting needles out of chop sticks, and a small round loom out of a m&m's mini tube, as seen in the picture.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this idea. I have taught my 8 year old son and 5 year old neice to finger knit and am now teaching them to crochet. I think they will enjoy this as well!!

Thank you for that - the web site sure did help.

You could probably get the same result if you used a scrap piece of wood and some thick nails.

Shall get the kids to have a go.

All the best,

Linda

Linda do you know what size piece of wood that you use? I forgotten the size of the wood that I told someone else about that idea.

Pam-Doggirl3

Sally it just a regular frontwrap around a tooth of a loom. When you look at your front wrap that you did around your first tooth or others on the loom it looks like a small e like the ones you do in cursive writing. That is what it is.

Pam-Doggirl3