What Is This PlantPlant Info

What Is This Plant? (Persian Shield)

I just picked this plant up at the flea market, but have no idea what it is. Does anyone know what it is and do you have any tips for caring for it, watering, light etc.?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Thanks a million.
Tracy from Cocoa, FL

It's called Persian Shield. Plant it in the shade.

Looks like a new guinea impatient

Here's some info too http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/516

Looks to me like Persian Shield. Lucky you, I have been wanting this plant but I don't think I have a shady enough area to plant it in.

This looks very much like a plant I have in my garden. Sorry, can't remember the name. I too, bought it because it had been overlooked and looked so forlorn and best of all on sale. I thought I would try to save it and it has rewarded me so well. I had it in a fairly shady location, it grows like a hosta, has those gorgeous purple/burgundy leaves and in the summer grows spikes with pink flowers, similar to the way hostas do. Last year I divided it and put a small piece in another shady corner and it's looking good this spring. Good Luck with this plant.

Cant think of its name off hand, but they sell them at walmart. Best thing to do, if you are really stumped, is take the whole plant, or a few leaves, to your nearest landscape/garden shop. Someone to works with plants for a living will know.