Growing a Grapefruit from Seed

I have a grapefruit that was started from seed, I do not know the variety. It is about 18 inches in height now and pretty healthy. The leaves are like a double leaf, in that there is a smaller section near the stem then a larger leaf beyond that. Currently it is in a 4-6 inch pot indoors, but it is exceeding it's home now. I can't just let it die so I would like to know how to care for it and help it live.

By Gale from San Rafael, CA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I bought a house with a grapefruit tree that had never given fruit in 7 years. We did not get fruit until 3 years later. But now, 7 years after that, I usually fill at least 15 of those 30 gallon tubs each spring. I take the fruit to school to school for my students and parents to have. I play rock 'n roll all summer long in the back yard while I'm in the pool. I'm sure that's what makes it produce so much fruit.

Double leaves? That is a key feature of a very particular and exciting citrus tree: a kaffir lime! The leaves, with their distinct doubling feature, makes it identifiable. The fruit is sometimes used, but the leaves are its main feature, highly aromatic and used in Asian cooking.

grapefruit on branch with a slice in foreground
Growing Grapefruit from Seed
Home and Garden Gardening Fruit TreesJune 10, 2010
Grapefruit slices in a canning jar.
Canning Grapefruit
Grapfruit wedge with grapefruits in the background.
Storing Grapefruit
Dried Grapefruit Orange and Lime Slices
Drying Grapefruit
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:28:17 AM on 10.0.0.96 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.