General AdviceConsumer Advice

Buying VHS Tapes

I am old school, still using VCR tapes. It seems that every one I buy now messes up. They jump, wobble, or you can't see the picture hardly at all. I have spent a lot of money on these things. Has anyone else had this problem?

By Brenda from Columbia, SC

Brenda,I sent you a message.Check it and get back w/me if you'd like.

Adjust the VHS with your VCR remote control by clicking on the tracking button until the blur and jumping stops.

Thinking it could be a problem with the vcr machine, not the tapes. Try Lorelei's idea and if no luck, bring it in for servicing. If all the tapes do it, thinking it's not the tapes but the machine itself.

Brenda, Go on ebay and look for a vhs head cleaner. its just the the vhs tapes and comes with a small bottle of alcohol that you apply to the cassette then run like you would a movie. More than likely its your machine and if you look you might be able to find a new never opened one.

I used to work for a company that converted VHS tapes to video. It definitely sounds like it is your player. I would try another machine for sure. There are still people out there who will repair a VHS machine but it might be cheaper to pick up a new DVD/VHS combo.

Some things you can do to keep your player and tapes working longer:

Clean the heads often, every 10 or so hours or playing time is usually recommended.

Buy a separate rewinder and only use your machine to play tapes. The rewinding goes really fast and can cause misalignment over time. It is also hard on the tapes. If you ever have a tape break, it is usually because of rewinding.

DO NOT store your tapes near your television, computer or other electronic devices. These tapes hold their information on magnetic tape. A strong magnet will erase the entire tape. All electronic devices give off a magnetic field. Over time, this will have the effect of slowly washing away the information on the tape.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.

I'm from the old school also, I still buy the tapes and DVDs but for the tapes make sure that your VCR is clean. If you have to take the cover off use some alcohol the white kind, wipe the heads off and let dry that should work for you and keep them out of heat and leave them at room temperature.

Thanks for all of the replies. I had my VRC/DVD recorders check out back last year and took the tapes at that time with it. They said the tapes are defective. Then I guess I got a hold of some good ones as they worked fine. Now the last 8 packs of 6 are just not any good. I talked with the store I bought them from and I am taking them all back.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having problems with any of theirs. I have 6 of the Magnavox DVD/VCR recorders that I use every night. They are all the same model. I guess I am going to have to learn how to use the DVD part. Again thanks for everyone's help.