Uses for Plastic VHS Cases

Category Reusing
The clear plastic cases used to store VHS tapes can be reused in a variety of ways. This is a guide about uses for plastic VHS cases.

When our library decided to get rid of videos in favor of DVDs, all the old transparent plastic cases went in the waste bin. This is a cloche made from some that I rescued. Superb for plants and less for landfill!

By jehosophat jones from England UK

Rid yourself of extra, unwanted, and unused VHS movies by donating them to your local library! There are still a lot of people who have not made the change to DVD, who go to the library to check them out, saving rental fee money. I had seven large brown grocery sacks full. My son and I took the movies there. When I first saw the very small and sparse collection they had, it left a lot to be desired. They were housed in spinning wire racks. Now, with a lot more to loan out they have been placed on beautiful wooden shelves!

The original thought behind this was: "why should I have to dust, store and be burdened with so many movies, I will never watch since updating to a DVD player?" I gained a LOT of extra space by getting rid of them, and improved the library loan system!

I collected a whole lot of old video tapes from our local community so they could be recycled by a firm in Bristol (UK). I saved some of the boxes as I thought I would be able to use them somehow.

I have recently moved into a new home and I have now put them to good use. I have my medications stored in some and camera leads, etc. in others, as well as, some other miscellany items. They all store neatly making items very easy to find. I just printed the label names onto an A4 sheet of paper then sellotaped them on the side of each case. They could easily be stored upright as well.

I wish I had saved more now as I can think of many more items I could use them for. My jewellery (one for bangles, one for rings, etc.) and some craft items for example.

I am sure many have already figured this organizing tip out, but I am glad I came to it now. Better late than never! :D

Make cassettes or VHS (or whatever) of your elderly relatives. Ask them questions about their childhood, their dating years, anything they can and would like to talk about of years gone by. One day, when they've passed on these will be cherished keepsakes. No better way to pass on to your younger family members than words of older loved ones. Copies would make great gifts.

By Terri H.

Any hints on uses for those clear plastic boxes for containing your VCR tapes? I bought way too many and hate to throw them away.

By Shirley M

Answers

If it were me, I would completely cover them in contact paper or duct tape or whatever you have and use them as blocks....to play with, maybe put a couple together and put a photo on them and cover with clear contact paper and use as bookends.

I might consider using them to hold open a door by putting several of them together, and taping them together with duct tape, and also I bet you could make a giant domino set by covering them in black paper or contact paper and gluing or painting the right amount of dots on each one. I am thinking this would take a while but would be so cool!

If you were talking about the big boxes, I would use them to store papers in, and possibly an art holder box, I love any kind of storage!

If they are hard plastic they make great cloches. In summer 2009 I posted a picture on here of one I had made in the garden.They last for years.
Marg from England

I put my crochet hooks, pins and large needles which I use to make up a garment in them. also, a small 4" plastic ruler, measuring tape and anything else related to the current project like buttons for a sweater, etc. keeps everything together, neat and tidy.
I keep another for smaller sized zippers, and another for those extra buttons you get when purchasing a garment. there are so many uses for them.

Hi - you would be surprised at what you can sell on eBay and Craig's list.
Check out your item on eBay and maybe make some extra "dough" for the holidays!