Making a Recycled VHS Tape Container

Category Containers
For a retro media themed party make a VHS tape container for holding tableware or other items. This is a guide about making a recycled VHS tape container.

I made this tabletop container for my husband's birthday, using VHS tapes. I used it to hold plates and utensils at the party. It will find a new purpose at home, but I am not sure what that will be yet. :)

• 6 VHS tapes
  • E6000 glue
  • thick foam (optional)

1. Lay out the tapes to make sure this arrangement is the size you want. You can make it smaller, longer, or taller.
  2. Apply glue to the end of the tape, press it onto the tape you will glue it to, then gently pull it apart. This will transfer glue right where you want it. Allow the glue to sit for 2 minutes, then push them back together. Repeat until all of the tapes are glued together.
  3. Use a ruler to square it up, then allow the glue to dry for 24-72 hours.
  4. Here is my container filled with plates and utensils at the party.
  5. Optional: If you want to add a bottom to the container, cut some pieces of thick foam to attach to the bottom. I did not add a bottom to mine yet.
  6. Ad

I love my movies but it's just not practical to keep them. I have propped up beds, made shelves with them and today, it's a vase for faux flowers.

With a turntable (you don't have to have one, or even a bottom for that matter) and some hot glue, I made this for my kitchen table. I only made one mistake and that was not getting one of four movies with the front out but at least I didn't get one upside down!

Hot glue the first one to the base, or just set it somewhere you can start gluing the others to it.

The bottom of the movie will be glued to the base, and cooled.

Then, along the edge of the first, and at the bottom if you have the base, like a "square pin-wheel".

Keep going like you did and the end one should slide into last place like a glove.

For the last one, you will need to glue the bottom or just the side of one and the other side of the last one.

When everything is glued, put your flowers in and stand back to "N-JOY!!" your work.

NOTE: Because your flowers are fake, you don't need a bottom but if you want one, a cardboard, like from a cereal box or calendar, or plastic from a large cottage cheese tub will work well.

Source: Made one with DVD cases and thought this would be fun, too.

Videos

This fun recycled container is perfect to add a touch of nostalgia to any party. Learn how to make it in this short video.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes