Making a Recycled VHS Tape Container

Category Containers
For a retro media themed party make a VHS tape container for holding tableware or other items. This is a guide about making a recycled VHS tape container.

I made this tabletop container for my husband's birthday, using VHS tapes. I used it to hold plates and utensils at the party. It will find a new purpose at home, but I am not sure what that will be yet. :)

• 6 VHS tapes
  • E6000 glue
  • thick foam (optional)

1. Lay out the tapes to make sure this arrangement is the size you want. You can make it smaller, longer, or taller.
  2. Apply glue to the end of the tape, press it onto the tape you will glue it to, then gently pull it apart. This will transfer glue right where you want it. Allow the glue to sit for 2 minutes, then push them back together. Repeat until all of the tapes are glued together.
  3. Use a ruler to square it up, then allow the glue to dry for 24-72 hours.
  4. Here is my container filled with plates and utensils at the party.
  5. Optional: If you want to add a bottom to the container, cut some pieces of thick foam to attach to the bottom. I did not add a bottom to mine yet.
  6. Ad

Videos

This fun recycled container is perfect to add a touch of nostalgia to any party. Learn how to make it in this short video.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes