Flies on My Plants Outside

Q: These are not little fruit type flies they are normal big black ones. Whenever I water my flowerbeds flies come out. I do not remember having this problem in past years. Is there something I can do or is this normal?

Brandi from Salt Lake City, UT

A: Brandi,

There are more than 100,000 types of flies. They may be showing up when you water for a variety of reasons-all considered normal. Certain flies like to breed in moist conditions. If you mulch around your plants, the flies may be attracted to the moisture from watering. Other flies may be preying on the insects that are inadvertently disturbed or washed off your plants while you water them. Watering may also trigger chemical scents on certain plants that some flies find attractive. Still others may simply be showing up for a drink. Whatever the reason they suddenly appear when you water; the flies usually won't be interested in your plants. They prefer "dead" food like manure, rotting plants and decaying organic matter found in nutrient-rich soil. Yearly populations can fluctuate with changing environmental conditions, and most flies complete their life cycle within a few weeks. As the season progresses, their populations will gradually diminish. Wear a hat and a good bug repellant to keep them at bay while you're watering the garden.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers

What i use on some of my plant's even the veggies in the garden i use soap water & just spray it on the plant. Fill a squirt bottle full of water then add some dish soap to it shake it then spray. This work on a lot of bugs too.

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 9, 2006
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
🎄