Cleaning Hair Rollers

Category Tools
Periodically you need to clean your hair rollers to remove stuck on hair or product. This is a guide about cleaning hair rollers.

I use those velcro hair rollers, but after some usage, loose hair becomes stuck to the rollers and then they don't work very well. Does anybody have an easy way of taking the hair off the rollers? Picking it off by hand is very time consuming!

Thanks for any tips.

Marion in Ontario from Ontario, Canada

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have tried all. The toothbrush wasn't stiff enough and other brushes were too big . The velcro strip worked not too bad. Soaking them in bleach also worked not too bad. The crochet hook helped to lift the hair off the roller too, so it was easier to grab than just using mythumb and fingers.

So, thanks again for all your help, this is the greatest site!

Best Answer

Just rub the rollers against each other.

Best Answer

The Fuller Brush company makes a small rake-like tool to lift hair from hair brushes. You put the small tines under hair on a brush. It works very well. You might have to do some research on-line to find a distributor (they used to sell door to door in the "olden days"!)

Best Answer

I put mine in the washer with a couple of bath towels. Am a hairstylist and have done this for years. Run through low heat dryer with towels, also.

Best Answer

I found a fast and easy way to clean velcro rollers. Take a sanitizing wipe, like Botanicals lemongrass, or somesuch, and wipe down the bristles on the vacuum brush. Wait a few minutes, according to package directions, if needed. Turn on the vacuum and position the roller over the opening in the center of the brush, rolling the hair roller against the bristles on the vacuum brush. Make sure you are very careful with small rollers, as they might upend and get sucked into the vacuum. The suction force will help to remove and point out hairs that you can use your fingers to loosen if needed. It really doesn't take very long, and it will suction a whole bunch of them at once so that really speeds up the process. Plus there's no cleanup of hairs all over when you are done :)

You can also roll two of the rollers around eachother, this helps get some of the hair out.

Was this a bad brand of hair rollers?

I use sudsy ammonia to clean my brushes and combs so I'll try it with my hairy Velcro rollers. I don't have the patience to clean each.

Do you put them into several small lingerie bags--or loose?

I use a fine-tooth comb to extract hair from the rollers. Just place the teeth of the comb firmly on the roller and go around the whole roller. The teeth on the comb are very good at pulling the hair out of the roller. You could follow up by washing the rollers as some others have suggested.