Homemade Presents For Dog Lover

Does anyone have ideas for homemade presents for the dog lover? I have seen the frames from doggy bones and the dog biscuits are also great, but does anyone have other crafty ideas for the pooch and its owner?

fab4mom from Walker, LA

I'm making my mother a "travel bag" for her Teddy Bear. I'm going to make a regular tote bag with inside pockets and put in a small container of wipes (for his FEET!), a bowl for water and one for food, a small blanket for the seat, and a very, very small coat. He's a tiny chihuahua and goes everywhere with her. She can add a bottle of water and a baggie of food.

Paw Shaped Christmas Stocking

One year I made a Christmas "stocking" for a dog-loving relative in the shape of a dog's paw. I think I saw this idea in a magazine, and I used two pieces of red felt for the body of the paw and green felt for the pads of the paw. You could also use fleece or some other fabric. I drew the paw freehand, so you could make it as large or small as you wanted.

Also, I first machine-stitched the pads to the felt and then stitched around the perimeter of the paw, leaving a straight edge at the top for the opening of the "stocking" where I also sewed a loop in the top left corner so it could be hung on a fireplace. All of the above sewing could also be done by hand if a sewing machine is not available, and as another option, a blanket stitch with yarn would also look nice around the perimeter of the paw. Lastly, you can also personalize the paw with the dog's name in fabric paint, glitter, etc. My sewing skills are very basic, and I'm not very crafty or artistic, but this was really easy to do and takes a minimum of time. I wish I had a picture of it to share, but I hope I've described it well.

Truerblue in PA

I like to make collar covers for my dogs and their friends. Very simple, basic sewing.

Just take a strip of fabric and sew up one side to make a tube after finishing the short ends with a simple hem. This long narrow "sleeve" slips right over the dog's collar. It can be made to be flat, or gathered a little if you don't know the dog's size. I have used bandanas for this, fold into a triangle and sew a pocket along the long side as if you were making a curtain rod pocket. The dog can then safely wear the bandana over his collar. I have also thought of using men's neckties from the thrift store but haven't tried this yet.

I have made Halloween and Christmas collar covers, once you get going it only takes a few minutes. I like to cut out and sew several at once. They are washable and dog owners like them because it allows the dog to still wear the collar with tags, leash loop, etc. Trim them any way you like, attach buttons, rickrack etc while still flat. I used alphabet beads to put my dogs' names on theirs. My sister used wide Christmas ribbon to make glittery plaid collars for her two black cockers.

My two cocker spaniels get quite a few compliments when we walk in the park with these... these are also nice to sell at an animal charity event.

What about a recipe for making dog biscuits? I'm sure you could find them online...just put the dry ingred. in a mason jar w/a ribbon, and put the directions on a cute tag...I've seen people do it for human cookies!

How about writing the dog's name on one of the pet dishes that are at the $1.00 stores?

If you crochet or knit and know the kind of dog, you could make a doggie coat.

Harriet

i saw a cute collar a while back that involves removing a collar off a people shirt & adapting for the dogs neck.

other pet ideas & things :

http://www.symbaloo.com/public/101/crafts/

Here is the people collar for pets! Very cute idea!

http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1109

I saw a small Christmas tree with ornaments made from small dog biscuits. They had little red bows on them. It was sooo cute!

Thsnks to everybody that answered! These are some great ideas. Now I just have to figure out where to start...

Mega Woofs to all,

fab4mom in Walker, LA

I make and sell for the local humane Society RAG-KNOTS. I use many washed adult tshirts, cut them in 9 strips, cut the tube strip, match up 3 colors that look good, stitch the tops together and then tie a knot. Then braid it really tight. Sewing machine stitch over 4 areas when done. Do the same for several more. Now take 3 of the completed braids and braid these together. Sew. Then tie in several knots. There are many styles and patterns of doing this.

There are dogs who's owners come to buy these all the time. My dog steals them from the sewing machine and my son's dog brings hers to me when visiting to be retied. Mine does not get any other chew toys except this. Keeps her teeth clean, she loves it, if she chews some of the fabric off, it breaks down and passes with stool easily. The vet felt it was a safe toy and they sell them for me.

I will cut about 300 pieces out at a time to entice braiders to help me. Make sure you do not leave any pins in, if you fasten them prior to sewing (which I do).

All dogs of all sizes use these, our family has lab, german shorthair,friends have small dogs. They love RAG-KNOTS.

If you are a knitter or crocheter you could make a little blanket for the dog or a toy of some type.

Pam G.

Alabama

My son makes macrame pet collars, some with pretty beads and some with pets name and petowners name on it. They are pretty easy to make and with everyone going "green" they are easy to make using natural hemp.

Well, I always recommend giving your dog a great day for Christmas, so that he wonders what you are doing, then, Last year, I made biscuits. I bought roller blades, and took him with me to run wild. It was a great Christmas and he LOVED it! Everyone thinks that you are pampering your dog, but puh-lease, it's just for one day! For the rollerblading thing, if you can't do it, then, I would recommend if you have a basement go downstairs and if it has carpeting or concrete or something, buy roller blades and go down and roller blade.

Is this a hunting doggie or one that likes to run outside in the winter? Make it some protective booties from old bicycle inner tubes.

Crafts AdviceOctober 2, 2008
Grapefruit slices in a canning jar.
Canning Grapefruit
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
🎉
🎄