Collecting Child Support

My husband was ordered to pay child support and left the country. Can I collect anything from his social security benefits? If so when? Thank you.

By Dimitra from Lilburn, GA

July 21, 20100 found this helpful

If your question is left unanswered visit your state's Department of Family Services.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 21, 20100 found this helpful

Do you mean left your part of the US or left for another country? If he left for another country, you might have major problems. If you and he live in seperate states, that isn't real good either. My daughter has had trouble with child support from her "ex." States don't want to go after the absent parent unless they are between $5,000-$10,000 behind, because of the expense of bring them back to the state where the divorce and child support order took place. Is your "ex" currently on social security or are you talking about when he retires? You can't collect on it until he gets it, or if he would pass away, your kids would qualify for survivors benefits. Talk to you child support collection office, which in a lot of states is in the social services building, and they can tell you if they can take action or if you will need an attorney.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 21, 20100 found this helpful

"States don't want to go after the absent parent unless they are between $5,000-$10,000 behind, because of the expense of bring them back to the state where the divorce and child support order took place."

This statement is not true. Domestic Relations will persue any case regardless of the amount owed. Moreover, because all of the states' domestic relations departments are interconnected with the Social Security Employer database there is no need for them to bring in the defendent into a particular state for a hearing. Employers are required to report all new hires and their SS numbers and this information is fed into a database that will bring up any judgements against them (like a child support order). Pay garnishment would be automatic. Also, if there is any tax refund owed to him, that will be attached automatically as well.

If he is paid under that table or if he left the country that would be a different issue until he is located.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 22, 20100 found this helpful

You need to contact social security and the attorney general in your state to learn what the law is in your case and what your rights are. You may want to contact an attorney. You could check with your city hal to locate an attorney that will work for no fee if you don't have the cash to hire an attorney.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 28, 20100 found this helpful

It is not a felony unless the back support is at least $5,000. There are other circumstances that will make it a felony at that level also, but it is not an automatic felony at that point. You used to have to sign up for the tax check to be given to you, but I received one this year again now. If your ex is out of the country he will likely not be forced to pay. It is difficult to get other countries to accept foreign warrants. Good luck and don't give up.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 29, 20100 found this helpful

Depending on the state laws you are in. Many states attach it to tax returns, you can have your license pulled and be jailed for avoiding child support. You need to see a lawyer and/or humane services of your county if your child gets any services of any kind.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
September 15, 20150 found this helpful

Hi My Ex Husband recently retired, before that I was receiving child support for both of my Daughters, there was a decrease in my Child

support. What do I do? Do I have to go to the Retirement Office, How do I GET MY CHILD SUPPORT ACTIVE AGAIN!! or will I receive both Child support and Social Security

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Article
Court Paperwork regarding a child support hearing.
Collecting Child Support
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportJuly 21, 2010
Paper art of stick figure man and woman with stick figure children separated by a torn dollar bill in the shape of a heart
Collecting Child Support Without a Separation or Divorce
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
child support paperwork
Are Siblings Accountable for Back Child Support?
Child Support Money
Paying Child Support
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 29, 2016 at 7:25:43 PM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!