DecoratingHome Improvement

Stacks Books Under Lamps

With the cute lamps that I'd like for my living room being too expensive for me right now, I have to make due with what I have, so I've taken little, less expensive lamps and put them on books! It looks real cute and all you have to do is pile-up some books, what ever height you'd like and put the lamp on top. Hard cover, paperback, cookbooks; they all work!

My daughter has started do it also. She's not much of a reader now, working and being busy with children, so she picked some up at yard sales and library sales! Hope this helps someone out!

How about using tassels. They are very cheap and look great on lamps. I have tassels hanging from all of my lamps. Choose the color or colors that best accents your room , get a median size tassel and hang on your on & off switch. Get creative with them. They look great and are fun to use.

What a great idea! I am a Librarian and would love to decorate my office with a "book lamp" - in fact, I may take your idea and use it as a funraiser...make these lamps permanent and sell them for the library. Themed lamps would be fun too (all Dr. Suess books for a kids room, cookbooks for a kitchen, etc.). Oh, the ideas that you've given me! Thanks so much!

I put a stack old phone books under the small lamp in our guest room,nice lamp just not tall enough.

Kathleen,Dothan ,Al

I have done this in the past - still do - and just like the look of it - make sure that the lamp is steady - and will not get knocked over easily.

Other things work great too; antique cans, covered boxes. My neighbor has a small lamp on top of a mini sized wooden cutting board that has legs, and she's placed a small lace cloth under the lamp. She has it snuggled in a corner on top of her kitchen counter. Really pretty night light!

Also what is really pretty. Take the binders off the books and make new binders using wrapping paper. I used red Christmas wrap for the holidays.