Remedy for Tooth Pain With Bleeding Gums

I have severe toothache. I don't have cavities or anything of the sort. Its a perfectly normal tooth. My gum bleeds only at that specific tooth. When it bleeds the pain is really bad. Painkillers don't help all that much. I don't want to extract my tooth. What can I do? Please help, I am getting desperate.

By Haily from Johannesburg, South Africa

You must see a dentist as soon as possible. You may have an infected tooth (abcess) or some other problem. The tooth or the root may be cracked. This is not something you can treat yourself. Get to a dentist right away and good luck.

Haily, I agree with OliveOyl. The fact that the bleeding is only at that tooth (and not general irritated gums) makes me suspicious. The dentist will be able to find the problem and discuss treatment options with you. I hope it isn't too bad, and that you feel better soon.

You can try one of 2 things or both. Try rinsing with warm salt water frequently throughout the day. Sometimes a small piece of food gets caught under the gum and salt is healing. Also, mix 1/2 hydrogen peroxide & 1/2 Listerine & gargle well. I hope you feel better soon. A toothache is the worst.

Use Sensodyne toothpaste. The pulp of the tooth may be exposed above the gum line. I had the same problem, and Sensodyne completely eliminated the pain after only a few applications. If it doesn't work for you, please see a dentist right away.

If you can't get in to see a dentist right away, I have two solutions that work for me.

One, if you don't smoke, take a long draw from a cigarette and hold it in your mouth as long as you can. You might do this twice, as the smoke seems to deaden the teeth and gums.

If that doesn't work, your local pharmacy will no doubt have essence of clove oil, which comes with a small cotton ball and a tweezer (at least they did in my day). You can dab or hold the saturated cotton onto the tooth and the clove will deaden the pain.

But, see a dentist as soon as you can. This does sound strange.

Good luck.

Swishing with warm salt water can really help ease pain and promote healing. Do it 3-4 times a day.

Oil of clove, as noted above, is sometimes effective for tooth ache. As for bleeding gums, try white oak bark. When ground up, it resembles instant tea; put a pinch or so against the gums, Keep it there a few minutes. Then spit it out, although it is likely safe to swallow. It is bitter but it works.

It is possible (since its just one) that at some point you were brushing too hard and tore the gum away from the tooth, every time you brush after that would re-aggravate it, try switching to a softer brush and go easier on your teeth when you brush. Your mouth heals faster than any other part of your body, so give it a few days.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesMay 2, 2011
Man with a sore mouth.
Caring for Your Gums After a Tooth Extraction
Bleeding Heart
Growing Bleeding Heart
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding
🎉
🎄