Tree Roots Invading My Vegetable Garden

I have a raised veggie patch that is being invaded by nearby tree roots. Would digging it out and lining it with weed mat solve the problem? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I live on the south coast of NSW, Australia.

Karen from Basin View, NSW Australia

Dear Karen, Hi from another Aussie. I don't know if weed mat would be strong enough to stop tree roots, maybe you could ask at a nursery. Otherwise you might use old carpet or something stong like that. Goold luck.

Hi Karen

Tree roots will keep coming back. Either killing the tree or move the garden will be your only options to stop this problem.

Cathy in Townsville.

What kind of tree roots? If not too large, prune much of the tree branches over the garden back to the main trunk, which should minimize the root invasion. Also, root feed the tree on the OTHER sides of the tree away from the garden spot, and water regularly on the other sides. Trees' root system

is exactly duplicated, as if reflecting off a pond of water, in the ground according to it's top, above ground, growth. So study your tree type,age,size,

and branching to see if you can do it. Also, are the

tree roots coming up or running along the ground

surface into the garden? If no larger than your wrist, you might try cutting them back as far as possible,

digging any hair roots that you left in the soil out,

then addind a sheet tin "wall" about 12" into the soil

between the dug out branches and your garden. A lot of trouble, but it works for one of my Crepe Myrtles that is over 15 feet tall and which would LIKE

to invade my garden as well. If your tree is over, say, 1 1/2 feet in diameter, I'd trim the roots. : )

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingFebruary 4, 2007
A tree planted too close to a home.
Getting Rid of Tree Roots Under a House Foundation
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Cottonwood Tree
Getting Rid of Cottonwood Roots
🎄