Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Can Only One Vaccinated Puppy in a Litter Get Parvo?

Recently, over a week ago I sold five puppies from a litter of eight I have. I hadn't heard back from this one person until a couple of days ago. She's had her puppy from me for well over a week, and told me days later her pup had to have an overnight vet stay because it has parvo.

I vaccinate all my dogs and all puppies are current on these sort of vaccinations by the time they go to new homes. I have health certificates from my vet for health clearance and each new owner gets one. I have not heard from any of the other puppy buyers about anything like parvo or any other issues. I figured if they had contracted parvo somewhere I definitely would have heard from them all by now.

She's had the dog since the 5th of the month and didn't contact me till the 13th or 14th and now she's stated she's taking legal matters. All my dogs and remaining puppies have also been vaccinated on time, every time and all are doing well. Can one puppy from a litter have parvo and not the rest?

She says her other dog is doing fine. I thought once a dog with parvo has been around other dogs and puppies then they all get sick. She didn't sign anything on a health guarantee as my printer is down. Please let me know what I can do. She's being very belligerent and threatening. I mean well and make sure I do everything right including a good long bath before letting a puppy go to a new home, but she then tells me when she got the puppy it reeked of urine and feces, but yet when I delivered her to this woman she didn't say anything of the sort.

By AW from LA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By brooklynn778101/05/2014

Yes, I believe they can I just bought a pit bull puppy on Wednesday she was very lethargic and slept a lot. I just assumed it was because she as only 6 weeks old. The previous owners showed vet papers stating she was vaccinated I took her straight home that night. Thursday morning puppy had really bad diarrhea. I thought it was from changing food brand. Friday morning woke up and she looked bad so I took her to vet. Vet stated she had later stage of parvo and could not be saved so they had to put her down. Whenever all other owners of puppies were contacted all the other puppies, father, and mother were fine. I had puppy 2 days and vet said she had parvo for awhile so I believe her vaccine did not work on her.

By francine.vallejo10/27/2013

The puppies got parvo because they were vaccinated of parvo. The vaccine is a live vaccine and some puppies get parvo and die because of the vaccine. The vets will not tell you, they lie to you claiming that you exposed your puppies between the first and second vaccination.

By janet meador [2]05/17/2010

This is an excellent page about parvo. Read it before you speak with this woman again, it will give you confidence. She probably doesn't realize that she herself could have given her dog the parvo virus. Lots of good info here:
http://workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm#Parvo_Transmitted

Also, you should be able to have a relationship with your vet where you can ask anything. If he sees that you want to learn, he will respect that. If he doesn't, get new vet!

Arm yourself with knowledge.

By Lizzyanny [9]05/17/2010

The fact that only one puppy got sick tells me that it contracted the disease at its' new home, not while it was with you. Had it been exposed at your home, other puppies or your own dogs would have come down with it. The comments about a smelly puppy tells me that this person is trying to intimidate you. She may be trying to get you feel anxious so you will pay her Vet bills. It sounds to me like you are on very safe ground legally. I am guessing she will try to intimidate you but stop short of trying to take you to small claims court... that would take more money than a trip to the Vet. She may come up with other nonsense, but I doubt very much if she will actually proceed with anything. Stick to your guns. Good luck!

By Linda [6]05/17/2010

Sounds like all good replies. I have seen All or Most dogs get Parvo, not 1. She must have it in her area.

She is grasping at straws, if he had it from you, It wouldn't have took that long!

When my dogs got it, we made a bleach and water solution in the sprayer...and did the whole yard. It is air borne, cats are carriers, and it lives season to season in the ground if not treated.

The ones that lived, after a vet visit, had pedialite, and homemade boiled chicken and rice...to survive, and caro syrup in water.

By merlene smith [4]05/17/2010

It's been my experience with medical issues that for every rule there is an exception. No vaccines whether in dogs or people are 100% reliable. But it sure puts the odds in your favor. Whenever we've gotten a dog from a breeder or rescue we had something like 48 hours to take it to a vet. After that whatever happened was on our watch.

By Judi [17]05/17/2010

She sounds like a trouble maker to me. If you know anything about vaccinating puppies you know that only 1 vaccination is not considered full coverage. Even with the full series there are break throughs and vaccinations may not protect a dog against parvo. I would wait to see if she really does take this to an attorney and then be prepared with the health certificates. It sounds like you did all a breeder can do. If she was unhappy with the smell or condition of the puppy the time to speak up would have been at delivery. Contact the other buyers and if possible get written statements from them concerning the condition and health of their puppies.

By Lisa [2]05/17/2010

It sounds to me like you should consult with an attorney. I've never had to deal with anything like this, so I don't know if some specialize in these sorts of cases. And, if it'll help give you peace of mind (don't know if it would help or hurt your case), maybe you should contact some of your other clients (from this litter) and just check in to see how things are going.