Canning Fruit in the Oven

It works like magic, just put them in the oven and take them out when done!

• 1 quart fruit
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 quart water
  • Ad
  • 1 tsp. Fruit Fresh

Pack your fruit in jars. Add the Fruit Fresh then make your syrup. Combine sugar and water; boil to dissolve sugar. Cover your fruit with syrup.

Seal your lids tight; put on a baking sheet in a cold oven. You can do as many as you sheet will hold. If you have two baking sheets that will fit at the same time that's okay too.Turn the oven on and bake 1 hour at 250 degrees F. Let the fruit cool completely before opening the door.

I like to do mine in the afternoon then leave them until the next morning.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Bad idea! This method was an approved method of canning. I saw it yesterday in mom's 1942 Kerr or Ball booklet on canning. But it is not recommended today by food safety experts. Do your research about possible drawbacks before using this method.

I wish it was as safe as a boiling water or pressure cooker canner because I dislike lifting big pots of hot water as much as anybody.

I have always heard this was a dangerous method too.

The following is from Univ of Ga which is a reputable respected org. for preserving food safety & guidelines.

Is it safe to can in the oven?

No. This can be dangerous because the temperature will vary according to the accuracy of oven regulators and circulation of heat. Dry heat is very slow in penetrating into jars of food. Also, jars explode easily in the oven.

This method may have been done years ago by our grandmothers, etc but it is not considered safe now. - joinniez

Well I feel like I have been thouroughly spanked! I do realize there are many more who feel this is an unsafe method of canning and I agree for anyone who has not done a lot of canning it would be. Perhaps I should have been more careful in my directions and put warnings that it is not considered to be safe by many experts but that it has been a proven method of canning for many years. Our ancestors canned this way before the day of pressure cookers right along with water bath canning. I have yet to have any problems with spoilage. I sterilize my jars and lids before using them. I always check the edges for chips and never use anything but regulation canning jars and new lids. I don't always use the oven method, quite to the contrary; for the most part I water bath, but thought I would share a method many might not have heard of that does work for me.

Many of you would still not agree, that is ok, you have the right to your opinion. I thank you for reminding me that not everyone has 40 years of canning experience, they should learn the safer new methods for sure.

Wow! I think I'll check into this method! If it was done this way "in the old days" why shouldn't it work today? Sounds like you could do many more bottles at a time with this method than with the water bath or pressure canner. Which I think are both very dangerous! What a boon it would be if this works!! I assume you have been doing it for some time and haven't had any adverse effects? If a bottle did explode, it would be contained inside the oven. So, for me, the only concern would be the bacteria and it sounds like you've had real life experience proving it to be safe. Thanks for the idea, I'm going to do some research on this method. :-)

Canned Apricots
Tips for Canning Fruit
Food and Recipes Canning FruitOctober 7, 2010
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries