Tips for Canning Fruit

Category Fruit
Serving fruits that you have canned yourself is very satisfying and delicious. This guide contains tips for canning fruit.

It works like magic, just put them in the oven and take them out when done!

Directions:

Pack your fruit in jars. Add the Fruit Fresh then make your syrup. Combine sugar and water; boil to dissolve sugar. Cover your fruit with syrup.

Seal your lids tight; put on a baking sheet in a cold oven. You can do as many as you sheet will hold. If you have two baking sheets that will fit at the same time that's okay too.Turn the oven on and bake 1 hour at 250 degrees F. Let the fruit cool completely before opening the door.

I like to do mine in the afternoon then leave them until the next morning.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

When canning my fruits, I use white grape juice instead of water and sugar. If you use frozen, mix according to recipe. You can use the juice to drink in a glass, thicken it up with a little pearled tapioca and make your bars/pies with it. Best of all, the sugar is nil. I use the Juicy Juice brand.

Using the juice makes it taste just like fresh fruits.

By T and T Grandma

I want to can peaches. I do not have a canning rack, but do a have large pot that holds seven 1 qt. jars perfectly and is deep enough to cover the jars more than 1 inch over the tops. I'm afraid the jars will crack over my gas burner. How can I improvise a canner so that I can can some peaches?

By Loretta B.

Answers

I don't have a rack either and I put a heavy wash or dish cloth in the bottom of the pot then put the jars in and then the water. I have never had a problem. I have a hot jar lifter that I got at Ace Hardware and lift the hot jars out of the pot onto a towel to cool.

Sorry about the double post.

Put a dish towel on the bottom of the pot and them put your jars on top of it. It will keep the jars from direct contact with the heat. My mother used this method often, and I now use it too. It works.

Put jars on jar lids so they won't touch the bottom.

I have never seen a canning book or recipe that said to put the jars with lids down in the water bath. You must be very careful with the lids to get the jar to seal properly. Also it will make it hard to remove the jars from the canner. I have heard of a lot of people using towels successfully.

Do you have a metal (aluminum) pie pan? I'd turn it upside down put it on the bottom and go from there. You could try a couple jars to see how it goes. Good Luck!

I use a hand towel on the bottom and place 6 jars around the outside wall of the canner, then take a wash cloth sized towel and wrap the 7th jar (from the bottom, leaving it open on the top) and place that jar with the dish cloth around it in the center, cushioning it from the other jars. Fill with water and your good to go. :)

Cindy, Pat meant to put the jar rings on the bottom for a rack. I understand what she means. I think you thought she meant to put the jars in upside down? I am sure she didn't mean that.

I do not have a rack for the stock pot which I use to can various produce with a water bath method. Mine also fits 7 quarts easily and I've never had a problem using nothing underneath the jars, though they do rattle a bit under a rolling boil.

I have seen my grandmother put towels or rags padding the bottom of her canner well, and rags between the jars instead of rack.

Place jar rings up side down in the bottom of your preserving pot and it will do the same thing as rack. It does mean taking some of the water out after the preserving is done in order to remove the jars, but that water can be reused for the following batch. Be CAREFUL handling the hot jars. I always set them on several layers of newspapers until the have popped, and the jars are cooled.