Getting Rid of Ant Hills

There are a variety of ways both natural and chemical for getting rid of ant hills. This is a guide about getting rid of ant hills.

June 21, 2005 Flag

When you find those dreaded ant hills there's a cheap and sure way to get to them all, even the queen. Boil a large pot boiling water and pour it directly on the hill. Pay more attention to the ones closest to you house first, then work your way out. Use plenty of boiling water to make sure you get the queen too.

By Ardis Ilene B

I have tried all kinds of chemicals and they do not work. Before I use the boiling water please folks who have done this tell me - does it kill your yard?

Yes Donna, the boiling water does kill your grass. I tried it once on my yard and all the grass died.

Tried it. Doesn't work:(

May 31, 2014 Flag

How should I tackle removing the nest? It is approx. 18inches in diameter and approx. 15 inches high.

By Anne from Bristol

Buy boric acid it is in the laundry section in the store. pour it around the hill & then in it use a funnel so you can get it right over the top of the nest. BTW cover yourself long gloves and pull nylons over your pants so the ants can't get into your clothing. Boric acid when the ants get it on them it drys them out and they return to the nest and other eat them. Beware that boric acid can harm other animals but in a cemetery... I dont think you have to worry much.

I would call the office of the cemetery, and see if someone will take care of this for you. However, if you have to do it yourself, the best product I have found is a product we get here in Canada which is an expanding spray foam that you shoot into the ant hill. That does a good job of killing them most of the time. If it is a very large hill, you may have to do it more than once. I have tried diatomaeteous (sp?) earth, and that works, but takes many applications. I use it in my yard where I think my pets might tramp through a poisonous product.

i had a big ant hill in my garden and read on line how to get rid of it,boiling water,vinegar etc..i asked my 81 yr old mother and this really worked what she told me,so simple i didnt beleive it would work.She said go to the ant hill and in your mind ask them to leave,so i tried it,about 4 different times during the day i went out and asked them to move to the other side of the street.About 2 days later i checked and they were gone!unbeleivable!it really did work.Try it you"ll be amazed,i didnt want to burn or kill them for the sake of it and i dont usually believe in this sort of thing but it really worked,give it a go,it doesnt cost owt!

April 23, 2008 Flag

How can I get rid of ant hills naturally?

Mary from Michigan

I've recently discovered that a garden hose pipe on full power aimed at the top of the ant hill for a few minutes does the trick, I like to call it the "IndependANTZ Day" Method.

It's a lie, it doesn't work. Verified as FALSE on Snopes.com

I agree. No luck with vinegar.

March 16, 2012 Flag

Is there an easy, cheap way to do away with the mounds of ants popping up? I've heard of several household products that are suppose to work and don't.

By Joe D

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Squeeze bottle with Karo syrup 90% add about 10% 20 Mule team Borax (not boraxo or hand wash). Warm and shake until dissolved. Place squirt where ants go but not where pets or wildlife might eat it. The workers carry it back to nest and the queen is killed. Queens can live 20 years and produce many more queens.

September 11, 2007 Flag

I suggest the following procedure for eliminating ant mounds in lawns. First, rake the ant mound down level by spreading the dirt to the surrounding area. Wait several days to see if the ants rebuild the mound. If they do, you can chose to use an insecticide to reduce the population rather than fight the mound with repeated raking. After the mound has been raked level, sprinkle a small amount of diazinon granules or Sevin dust onto the area. Rake again to mix the insecticide into the dirt and then water the area. Hopefully one treatment will reduce the ant population sufficiently to make their presence tolerable for the remainder of the summer. If not, repeat as needed.

Source: Ant Control in Lawns - Iowa State University

I assume you are talking about fire ants. If so, this is what we do in Texas -- sprinkle dry grits around the ant mound. Ants take the grits back inside the mound as food, eat it, and "pop", they blow themselves up. This is cheaper and safer than insecticides.

I've also heard that if you have 2 mounds close to each other, take a shovel full of mound dirt from one and throw it on the other mound. The ants "fight it out" and destroy each others mounds.

You can use an insecticide with extra nozzle, dip the nozzle in the center of the mound & spray for a few seconds. Once the ants started coming out, pour a boiling water onto the mound & around it.

August 29, 2007 Flag

Any ideas on how to get rid of ant hills in the lawn? This year my Mom and I both have really bumpy lawns, and we both seem to have been overrun with ants. I would like to be as natural as possible. I have tried hot water but they just seemed to come back.

hellybelly17 from Leicestershire, England

I use cleanser, like Comet or Ajax. Sprinkle it around the hole.

I tried everything: bleach, ammonia full strength. They disappeared and came back again. However, I tried full strength white vinegar. The haven't returned. It has been years now.

Give grits a try. Wait for a day that it won't rain. Sprinkle dry grits around the ant hill. The worker ants will come out, and take this to their queen as food. She will consume the grits, they will swell, and she will die. No queen, no workers.

Hope this helps.

Karen

September 7, 2006 Flag

Question:

How to get rid of ants and ant hills on a paver walkway?

Buttercup from Michigan

Answer:

Buttercup, There are several effective ways to control ants, but control methods vary depending on the type of ant you're dealing with. Here is a link to information on this site that addresses control measures for several different types of ants:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf63572362.tip.html

Once you figure out how to get your ant problem under control, consider ways to prevent problems from reoccurring in the future. There are several good brands of sealers and joint sand stabilizers on the market. These are designed specifically to keep weeds and ants from taking up residence in between the cracks of landscaping pavers. Although I have not thoroughly researched individual brands, several claim to be environmentally friendly and seem like a good, long-lasting alternative to using chemicals. My friends who are landscapers tell me that using them when installing pavers has become standard industry practice among many professionals. The stabilizers form an almost impenetrable barrier between the paver cracks by adhering the sand grains to each other and locking them into the joints. This prevents sand loss due to settling, while keeping out weeds and ants.

Good luck!
Ellen

Try pouring boiling water on the hill. Since the hill is located on/near a paved surface, the hot water won't make dead spots on your lawn, but it will kill the ants.

I find that each type of ant is attracted to something different...sugar or proteins. The tiny black ones in Texas are "sugar" ants, as are the lightest red ones.

But the "small red" ones that are really aggressive when stirred, are protein hunters. Pharoah ants are

similar to Carpenter ants in appearance but more "playful" and lively. Carpenter ants are after termites which are full of cellulose, I understand, often eating into the termite trails of wood as well. Pharoah ants are fairly harmless eating dead bugs mostly, cleaning up the garden. The sugar ants are harmless as well, I hear.

The huge FIRE ANTS and the medium fire ants are

easy to recognize because they are fighters and are darkest red in color, stinging to protect and defend their territory,often bullies to smaller ants. All ants don't need eradication, you know, because many perform a good function.

One might checktheir children and their own habits to see if any of them are dropping popcycle sticks, candy pieces, bubble gum, sugared gum, fruit, or juices/colas, ice cream, chocolate,etc in the paths/yard/garden.Once this is corrected, one might not find many ants because they will have nothing with which to support themselves and their queen . If we just concentrate on those that hurt

humans we can also try to make peace with the others and teach our children the same? (I hope I am remembering my temporary workdays at a pest control center correctly after several years of absence.)

We are to have dominion over all creatures

on the Earth, according to the Holy Bible, but not destroy them all, as many who don't understand this do. Some laws have gone ridiculously overboard protecting some creatures, and I don't advocate

protecting creature life over human life. God clearly

describes how we are to learn from even the lowly ant

as to working a lot, teamwork, harvesting, and storing for times when we may not be able to do so. He obviously created the ant with purpose in mind, don't you agree?He certainly speaks of the ant often. Good luck and God bless you and yours.

My grandmother would use her left over coffee

grinds.

April 29, 2012 Flag

How can I get rid of ant hills in my garden?

June 15, 2009 Flag

We have ant hills on our brick patio deck. A friend suggested pouring boiling hot water over them so the ants surface to the top. Do you know any other easy remedies? Anything that doesn't involve poison.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsMay 7, 2012
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
🎉
🎄