Steamed Carrot Pudding Too Dry

I made a carrot pudding using my mother's recipe, but it came out too dry. It is a traditional recipe containing steamed carrot, potato, suet, flour, raisins and spices. Did I steam it too long, not enough? Cover it right? (waxed paper, then cloth). Unfortunately my mom passed away and I cannot ask her what her secret was, as hers was always moist (and even better the next day). She always made it in advance by several weeks, but I don't know how she preserved it. Can someone please give me some ideas to try? Thanks.

By Marion from Ontario, Canada

I would try substituting butter or margarine for the suet. I don't know about Canada, but here in the States I have never been able to find genuine suet and it could be that your pudding is lacking in fat. I have had success making Christmas pudding without suet and using margarine or butter. As for storing them, my Mother would keep them in the pantry (no refrigerator in England back then!) for up to a year. However, since my home is much warmer than the one I grew up in (thank goodness) I now refrigerate or freeze them. Good luck.

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try the butter and freezing them.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking From ScratchDecember 28, 2010
Steamed Mixed Vegetables
Making Steamed Mixed Veggies
Slice of Christmas Pudding
Christmas Pudding Recipes
Carrot Salad
Carrot Salad Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Carrot Costume