Rust Stains on Clothing

I need to know how to remove rust on white clothing. I have this new shirt and I hung it on a metal hanger instead of on a plastic one after washing it. When it was dry already, I saw some little yellow stains on it. I tried vinegar to remove it, but it didn't work.

By Ann from Philippines

Try straight lemon juice and put it out in the sun.

March 24, 2009 Flag

How can I remove rust stains from clothing?

Yvonne from Indiana

Rust Stains on Clothing

There is a product, sorry I can not remember the name, it is an additive for use in water conditioners. Maybe call one of those places and I think they can help. You can buy a small bottle of it at Lowe's, or any of those type of places. It is very pungent and strong. I suggest you use a little in a bucket with water and soak your garment, the rust will come out. I found it safe for most normal clothing items. (07/14/2007)

Rust Stains on Clothing

Yellow Out. Super product, works on all yellow stains, including over bleached whites. Try it if the lemon juice solution doesn't do the trick. Good Luck. (07/14/2007)

By hedera

Rust Stains on Clothing

Use barkeepers friend. It comes in a container like comet and removes rust from anything.

By Paula

Rust Stains on Clothing

I use a product called Blink Rust Remover. It literally dissolves rust before your eyes. It just disappears. My husband told me I was easily amused when I came up from the laundry room to tell him all about this product. I think it's called Blink because if you blink you miss watching its action, LOL. I bought it at my local grocery chain. It was $5 for a nice sized bottle. It's in the laundry aisle. Try it, you will be very pleased!

By Sandy

Rust Stains on Clothing

The "Queen of Clean" says to use Citric Acid to remove rust. You can get it in the grocery store. It's for adding to food or candy to make it tart. She recommends a Lemonade mix (like Crystal Light or Kool-aid) because it's easy to find & has Citric Acid in it. But, me? I'd worry about the food dye from the lemonade staining my fabric. But, she says that Lemonade mix is supposed to work well to clean rust stains in the toilet, on cement floors, driveways, and around the house. She also recommends "Zud" rust remover (from the hardware stores).

Whenever I get an organic stain, the first thing I try is Peroxide. It can work wonders, especially on coffee, chocolate milk, and grape juice. (07/14/2007)

By Cyinda

Rust Stains on Clothing

Rust Stain Magic from the laundry area at grocery stores. It comes in a rust colored plastic bottle. It works only on white clothing though. Good luck. God bless and help you. : )

By Lynda

July 10, 2007 Flag

How can you get rust stain out of colored clothes?

Amy from Pleasant Garden, NC

Rust Stains on Clothing

Soak the stain in lemon juice and rub gently until the stain disappears. You may have to rub for a minute or more. It may take up to 30 seconds before you start to see the stain disappear but then all of a sudden, it's gone!

I removed a large rust stain from my carpet this way. I used a spoon to sort of scrape at the spot and afterwards I used ordinary salt to soak up the remaining juice and then I just vacuumed. Stain gone!

(PS) If the clothes are coloured, do a test somewhere inconspicuous first! The lemon juice may fade the colours...

By feemayl

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsOctober 11, 2010
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal