Dye Transfer on Denim

I recently purchased a deep purple polyester/rayon top and a dark denim cotton dress. When I washed them both in cold water, the purple top bled onto the denim dress. Is there any way to get the splotches of purple out of the denim?

By Totally sad from Baton Rouge, LA

I have no personal experience with such a problem, but I have a few suggestions.

First, it is the rayon that has caused the problem. Polyester usually is colorfast. Rayon is very tricky. I would wash it by itself in the future; never with anything else.

Try washing the denim dress in hot water and detergent. If the dress is the same quality of denim as jeans, you should n't have to be too fussy with it. Perhaps you shoulld try a laundry detergent that comes with bleach. You could also try Oxiclean. If you don't care if the denim fades, or if it is pretty light colored already, you could put some bleach in the wash. DONT POUR THE BLEACH on the purpleblotches. Follow the directions on the bleach jug as to how to use it. I have removed dirt and oil stains from jeans by bleaching them. Since faded jeans are attractive (and with work clothes, who cares) the fading, which was very slight, was not an issue.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsApril 21, 2009
custom bleached denim with an intricate design
Bleaching Denim
The back pocket of blue jeans.
Softening Stiff Denim
Man Washing Clothes
Preventing Dye Transfer When Washing Clothes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink