FlowersGardening

Planting Flowers in the Shape of Letters

Category Flowers

My volunteer garden club at our library are building a berm. It will be the center peice of a very large open area. I wanted to put flowers that make the shapes of letters when bunched together. This is a 3 part question #1 What would be used as a support since the berm will be on a high slant? #2 What is used to make the framing for the letters? #3 What would be the best low work flowers/plants to use to make the lettering stand out? If anyone has photos of or links to web pages that have photos it would help me the best. Thanks!

Laura from Illinois

Do you have a master gardener you could talk to? Or I'd call the botanical gardens at some major cities, as I'm sure they'd be glad to answer questions and help all they could. Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, has a wonderful floral clock (and have had it for decades) that is made this way. Here is a link for pictures of it: http://www.niag  /floralclock.php

They change it routinely. The bottom front is a pond that contains cat tails, waterlilies, and such. This year, it was decorated for the butterfly conservatory. Even without the clock, I'm sure their Parks and Rec Dept will be able to give you lots of information.