Packaging and Freezing Food

Here are some great food tips for saving money on food by packaging and freezing it:

I make large batches of soup, chili, casseroles, etc. and freeze them flat in ZipLock bags and then store them file-style in a box in the freezer. I make a batch of taco meat (inexpensive, lean roast like beef tri tip or rump or pork ball cooked for 8 hours with a jar of salsa and a diced onion) and freeze it flat in ZipLock sandwich bags for easy storing. Once they are frozen you can stand them up in a shoe box.

I also buy large cans at Smart and Final or Costco and divide them into ZipLock sandwich bags such as nacho cheese, cheddar cheese sauce, corn, olives, pineapple, applesauce, salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chilies and almost anything. Don't freeze potatoes or creamy dairy things. Cheese sauces or American cheese are OK.

I grate large amounts of cheese when it is on sale and freeze although it is usually cheaper to buy already grated cheese at warehouse stores.

Hi there! Thought your tips great - but question - do you wrap in foil first then bag it? Or can you just double bag?

I used to work at a restaurant and what we would do is wrap everything in plastic wrap and then wrap it in foil. Then we would write a date and what was in the package on the outside of the tin foil. That won't work for liquids but it worked well for meatballs and lunch meat. I have never done the math to determine if that is cheaper than freezer bags or not. They were easy to stack and easy to write on.

Organizing Your Cross-Top Freezer, Picture of an organized freezer.
Organizing Your Freezer
Food and Recipes FreezingJune 14, 2003
Freezing Peas, Frozen Peas
Flash Freezing at Home
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale