Browsing: Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

Money can sometimes seem like an impersonal gift. This is a guide about creative ways to give money as a gift.

creative ways to give money
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 24, 2013 Flag

Turn an old book into a box to hold a gift card or cash gift.

Unique Gift Card or Cash Wrapping

Total Time: 1 hour plus time for glue to set

Yield: 1 gift box book

• 1 old book with an interesting or decorative cover ($.25)
  • 1 fl oz white paper glue ($.10)
  • 1 X-acto knife ($1.00)
  • plastic wrap or plastic bag

Related Products:

1. Wrap the cover and the first few pages of the book in plastic wrap as close to the books spine as possible. This is to prevent glue from sticking them together and to keep them clean. Wrap the back cover in plastic wrap to the spine as well.
  2. Unique Gift Card or Cash Wrapping
  3. Mix a teaspoon of glue with a drop or two of water, mix.
  4. I used my finger to run the glue mixture along the entire 3 sides of the pages, then closed the book and placed it in a warm place (with weights on the book, literally!) to dry. This is to glue all the pages together.
  5. Unique Gift Card or Cash Wrapping
  6. After drying, I sketched a rectangle shape on the third page of the book and used my X-acto knife to cut straight down into the pages. Be careful with your knife!

It will take multiple cuts to get through the entire book and my first book doesn't have neat straight edges down, so be patient with yourself.
  7. Once you cut down to the back cover of the book, you will run the glue mixture on the cut edges of the inside of the book and close it up again, with weights to dry.
  8. Remove the plastic and insert your gift card, small item or cash for a nice way to display your gift! I happened to be giving a "book" gift card so this seemed really appropriate!

They can also use the book to hold things or even to hide a spare key or other valuables in their house, so it is a good gift by itself!

Happy Holidays everyone!

August 31, 2015 Flag

When my grandson was 10 years old he loved fireworks every Memorial Day, Fourth of July, etc. So for his September Labor Day birthday I did the following. I took 10 toilet paper rolls and put a five dollar bill in each one. I taped a long piece of ribbon to each bill and stuffed it into the roll allowing the ribbon to hang out of the hole in the tube. I then wrapped each roll in bright red foil paper. Then I took a long piece of ribbon and tied the rolls together horizontially with a small space between each roll so it looked like a 10 piece Chinese firecracker roll. I cut each ribbon down to make it look like a fuse. He had to pull each fuse to get his money and just loved the wrapping. His little sister was so enamored with it that she wanted one for her birthday. My only regret is I could't find a way to make a popping sound when the ribbon was pulled. Since this was 10 years ago I have no idea where the photo might be.

September 12, 2013 Flag

I send holiday money gifts to my nephews who live a couple states away.  I am always trying to find fun stuff. The first year was the best!  

I sent $100 in ones.  I got a large box (watch out for shipping cost, or get a smaller box) and a ton of old magazines or news paper.  Tear out and crumble up each page of a magazine and throw in box. I used about 7 magazines to get the desired fullness.  Then I crumbled each $1 bill up and threw it in the box.  Then stir it all up so they have to SEARCH for all of them and then uncrincle each one! haha. It's also funny because they have to work together.  

Wanna drive them crazy? I thought about putting an odd number of dollar bills in like $43 or $98 haha.  They will keep looking for the last couple dollars!

May 29, 2015 Flag

Since old encyclopedia sets are hard to sell and no one has the space for them anymore, individual volumes make great "birthday" or event cards. Give the volume that is the initial of the person ...

December 2, 2009 Flag

Money bags used to give Christmas cash.Small fabric bag to hold cash or a gift card that the recipient can then hang on the tree as an ornament.

Approximate Time: Less than half an hour

Instructions:

1. If desired, decorate the (A) piece of fabric, which will be the front of the bag. Then fold the ribbon in half, position and baste it to the center top edge of (A), then loop down facing down.

2. Fold (B) fabric in half, wrong sides together, and position on top of (A), aligning the bottom edges and sides. (Note that B does not reach to the top.)

3. Place (C) on top of these layers, wrong side up, aligning the top side and edges. (Note that C does not reach to the bottom)

4. Stitch all the way around the edges using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Trim the corners.

5. Turn (C) to the back. Then turn the folded B to the back and the little bag is done.

April 13, 2011 Flag

I am looking for unique ways to give money to a teen boy.

By Betty

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gift cards are always cool. They even make gift cards that look exactly like credit cards. Here's a link to Master Card http://www.mastercard.us/prepaid-gift-card.html

Origami is a great idea. My boys got a sailboat & a crane one year & loved it, though they were alot younger lol! My family loves to do gag gifts. A great one is to get a real girly gift bag and place a "money sandwich" inside it. You just use 2 slices of bread and place the $ between them. Place in a ziploc and cover in tissue paper! Or if you have some old jewelry boxes lying around you can place the cash in there. Another idea is to buy him a study manual of some sort (we used an SAT study manual for our then 17 year old niece) and have the money hidden between the pages!

Have fun!

I like putting $1 and $5 bills in balloons. They always look at me funny when I'm at the store asking them to put the money in before filling them with air but they guys seem to have fun bursting the balloons to get their money out!

May 20, 2012 Flag

Buy socks that match the grad's school colors. Roll one inside and fill with $1s, $5s, $10s or whatever you'd like. It will be 2 gifts in one. Tie colorful ribbons or balloons, etc. for a festive look.

April 23, 2012 Flag

My hubby and I usually give $50.00 to our nieces and nephews when they graduate from high school. I usually take 50 $1.00 bills and make a chain like we used to make with gum wrappers. I don't tell them how to take the chain apart, they have to figure that out for themselves.

September 12, 2013 Flag

You will need a large box, balloons and money: $1 or $5 bills. Roll your bills up and put them into the balloon. Blow a little air in and knot it.

October 3, 2006 Flag

I am looking for a creative way to give money.

Sharon from Asheboro, NC

Look up "dollar bill origami" online and fold bills into animals or shapes. Also, you can create a "money tree" by folding dollar bills in half and pinning them to a styrofoam cone. Insert finished cone into a flower pot and add a star to the top.

I did a rubber band ball for my sister-in-law for Christmas. I took a fifty dollar bill folded it up and just started putting rubber band after rubber band around it - around a hundred or so- turned out awesome- she got a big kick out it

January 4, 2005 Flag

If you are going to give a gift of money, see if the bank can get you new bills.

For a gift, I got 2 bundles ($100.00 each) bundles of new sequential numbered dollar bills. My plan is to fluff it out in a gift box and wrap it. I call that spreading your money around! A little different than just putting two large bills in a gift card.

Crisp new money would also be good to use for a MONEY TREE.

January 16, 2011 Flag

October 3, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

October 3, 2006 Flag
Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceFebruary 28, 2012
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Making a Snowman Money Holder
Making a Felt Snowman Money Holder
Saving Money a Ski Vacation, Sisters on Ski Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 8:41:35 PM on 10.0.1.77 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.