Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

Money can sometimes seem like an impersonal gift. This is a guide about creative ways to give money as a gift.

November 30, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a pizza box cash gift. Coming up with cute ways to give cash makes the gift giving and receiving more fun.

Pizza Box Cash Gift

December 24, 2013 Flag

Turn an old book into a box to hold a gift card or cash gift.

Total Time: 1 hour plus time for glue to set

Yield: 1 gift box book

• 1 old book with an interesting or decorative cover ($.25)
  • 1 fl oz white paper glue ($.10)
  • 1 X-acto knife ($1.00)
  • plastic wrap or plastic bag

1. Wrap the cover and the first few pages of the book in plastic wrap as close to the books spine as possible. This is to prevent glue from sticking them together and to keep them clean. Wrap the back cover in plastic wrap to the spine as well.
  2. Mix a teaspoon of glue with a drop or two of water, mix.
  3. I used my finger to run the glue mixture along the entire 3 sides of the pages, then closed the book and placed it in a warm place (with weights on the book, literally!) to dry. This is to glue all the pages together.
  4. After drying, I sketched a rectangle shape on the third page of the book and used my X-acto knife to cut straight down into the pages. Be careful with your knife!

It will take multiple cuts to get through the entire book and my first book doesn't have neat straight edges down, so be patient with yourself.
  5. Once you cut down to the back cover of the book, you will run the glue mixture on the cut edges of the inside of the book and close it up again, with weights to dry.
  6. Remove the plastic and insert your gift card, small item or cash for a nice way to display your gift! I happened to be giving a "book" gift card so this seemed really appropriate!

They can also use the book to hold things or even to hide a spare key or other valuables in their house, so it is a good gift by itself!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Such a wonderful idea!!!

September 12, 2013 Flag

I send holiday money gifts to my nephews who live a couple states away.  I am always trying to find fun stuff. The first year was the best!  

I sent $100 in ones.  I got a large box (watch out for shipping cost, or get a smaller box) and a ton of old magazines or news paper.  Tear out and crumble up each page of a magazine and throw in box. I used about 7 magazines to get the desired fullness.  Then I crumbled each $1 bill up and threw it in the box.  Then stir it all up so they have to SEARCH for all of them and then uncrincle each one! haha. It's also funny because they have to work together.  

Wanna drive them crazy? I thought about putting an odd number of dollar bills in like $43 or $98 haha.  They will keep looking for the last couple dollars!

Evil! I love it! I dont like giving money as a gift. But sometimes it cant be avoided. In Australia,we cant scrunch our notes cos they're plastic coated...But I have been known to individually wrap 100 x $1 coins & place them in a box or cardboard tube with shredded paper & wrap like a christmas bonbon! Once coins are found, it still takes at least an hour to individually unwrap each coin ;)

Love your sense of humor and love your idea!

August 31, 2015 Flag

When my grandson was 10 years old he loved fireworks every Memorial Day, Fourth of July, etc. So for his September Labor Day birthday I did the following. I took 10 toilet paper rolls and put a five dollar bill in each one. I taped a long piece of ribbon to each bill and stuffed it into the roll allowing the ribbon to hang out of the hole in the tube. I then wrapped each roll in bright red foil paper. Then I took a long piece of ribbon and tied the rolls together horizontially with a small space between each roll so it looked like a 10 piece Chinese firecracker roll. I cut each ribbon down to make it look like a fuse. He had to pull each fuse to get his money and just loved the wrapping. His little sister was so enamored with it that she wanted one for her birthday. My only regret is I could't find a way to make a popping sound when the ribbon was pulled. Since this was 10 years ago I have no idea where the photo might be.

That's a very cute idea! Thanks for posting this!

April 13, 2011 Flag

I am looking for unique ways to give money to a teen boy.

By Betty

Best Answer

I created "financial emergency kits"...took a kids lunch box, bought bandaids from 99 cent store...opened the bandaids placed a dollar in each one closed them back up and put them in the box...also had gauze bandage package, Emptied tylenol and put money in it etc...they were a little confused but once my son figured out the bandaid ..they loved it

Origami is a great idea. My boys got a sailboat & a crane one year & loved it, though they were alot younger lol! My family loves to do gag gifts. A great one is to get a real girly gift bag and place a "money sandwich" inside it. You just use 2 slices of bread and place the $ between them. Place in a ziploc and cover in tissue paper! Or if you have some old jewelry boxes lying around you can place the cash in there. Another idea is to buy him a study manual of some sort (we used an SAT study manual for our then 17 year old niece) and have the money hidden between the pages!

Have fun!

May 29, 2015 Flag

Since old encyclopedia sets are hard to sell and no one has the space for them anymore, individual volumes make great "birthday" or event cards. Give the volume that is the initial of the person ...

December 2, 2009 Flag

Small fabric bag to hold cash or a gift card that the recipient can then hang on the tree as an ornament.

Approximate Time: Less than half an hour

Instructions:

1. If desired, decorate the (A) piece of fabric, which will be the front of the bag. Then fold the ribbon in half, position and baste it to the center top edge of (A), then loop down facing down.

2. Fold (B) fabric in half, wrong sides together, and position on top of (A), aligning the bottom edges and sides. (Note that B does not reach to the top.)

3. Place (C) on top of these layers, wrong side up, aligning the top side and edges. (Note that C does not reach to the bottom)

4. Stitch all the way around the edges using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Trim the corners.

5. Turn (C) to the back. Then turn the folded B to the back and the little bag is done.

May 20, 2012 Flag

Buy socks that match the grad's school colors. Roll one inside and fill with $1s, $5s, $10s or whatever you'd like. It will be 2 gifts in one. Tie colorful ribbons or balloons, etc. for a festive look.

April 23, 2012 Flag

My hubby and I usually give $50.00 to our nieces and nephews when they graduate from high school. I usually take 50 $1.00 bills and make a chain like we used to make with gum wrappers. I don't tell them how to take the chain apart, they have to figure that out for themselves.

September 12, 2013 Flag

You will need a large box, balloons and money: $1 or $5 bills. Roll your bills up and put them into the balloon. Blow a little air in and knot it.

October 3, 2006 Flag

I am looking for a creative way to give money.

Sharon from Asheboro, NC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Look up "dollar bill origami" online and fold bills into animals or shapes. Also, you can create a "money tree" by folding dollar bills in half and pinning them to a styrofoam cone. Insert finished cone into a flower pot and add a star to the top.

I did a rubber band ball for my sister-in-law for Christmas. I took a fifty dollar bill folded it up and just started putting rubber band after rubber band around it - around a hundred or so- turned out awesome- she got a big kick out it

January 4, 2005 Flag

If you are going to give a gift of money, see if the bank can get you new bills.

For a gift, I got 2 bundles ($100.00 each) bundles of new sequential numbered dollar bills. My plan is to fluff it out in a gift box and wrap it. I call that spreading your money around! A little different than just putting two large bills in a gift card.

Crisp new money would also be good to use for a MONEY TREE.

January 16, 2011 Flag

October 3, 2006 Flag

My sister-in-law wants money for her birthday to have highlights put in her hair. Friends and family are giving money to her towards this. I want my gift stand out, any ideas on how to do this. How to give money and still make it stand out? Thanks for the help,

Kristen

Answers:

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

My mother-in-law was going to Vegas for her birthday so we decided to give her money. I saved a toilet paper roll, got different denominations of bills---ones (mostly), fives, tens and taped them together end-to-end. Taped one end to toilet paper roll and rolled them around the tube. Inserted tube (with money rolled around) into a wristwatch size box. Cut slit in top of box and fed first bill out the top. My Mother-in-law loved this Money Box for her trip and it was more interesting to open than just a card with money or check in it. (04/26/2005)

By buzy mom

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

A friend of mine gave money for a Graduation gift in a small gift bag with the card and money inside. Maybe you could include a hair care product or two as well. (04/26/2005)

By MamawKC

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

I used a branch from the yard and made a money tree for a graduation gift. (04/27/2005)

By mjandjj

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

Maybe you could get a picture of her, scan it, make it larger, print it & roll up dollar bills lengthwise, flatten and tape around her head sort of where the highlights will go. (04/27/2005)

By nancyec

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

For my brothers 50th anniversary, I gave them 50 silver dollars, each one wrapped individually in gold foil, in a gold bag filled with gold 'easter' grass, They had to go through the bag to find all the coins. You could try something similar. (04/27/2005)

By Linda

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

We had a wedding shower for our friend. She already owned a house. So we decided to give her money. We put the money in balloons, stuffed them in and then blew them up. We then decorated with the balloons. She had only one gift box to open. In this box was a big safety pin. It was so much fun to see her confused and bewildered expression and then to see her excited when she figured it out. We had to drop her hints which made it more fun. (04/27/2005)

By mkymlp

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

How about some money origami. My son and I do this for tips also - search the web for directions (05/04/2005)

By Lori

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

Every year at the end of school, I collect a few dollars from everyone in my children's classes and I make a corsage out of the money. You fold the dollar bills into the shape of flowers, add some real or silk flowers to it and present it in a box. Then the teacher wears it the whole day. Believe me, that teacher gets some jealous looks from the other teachers throughout the day! (05/04/2005)

By HHobby

Expansion on Tracey's 19 for 19 Idea

Tracey gave me an idea for a different way of giving money that I have used. Tracey's involved wrapping money for her daughters 19th birthday. When my kids each turned 21, I gave them 21 pennies, 21 nickels, 21 dimes, and 21 quarters, 21 half dollars, etc. I took a gift box and taped each one individually to the top, bottom and sides. They had to undo each one to get them. Also for my brothers 50th wedding anniversary, I had a gold gift bag, gold "Easter grass" in the bag, and mixed in 50 silver dollars, each one wrapped in gold foil scattered in the grass. You could do the same with a silver bag, grass, and foil for a 25th anniversary.

Editor's Note: You can find the post that Linda is referring to here:
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf825849.tip.html (08/24/2005)

By Linda

Creative Way To Give the Gift of Money

When you want to give a gift of money for a special occasion, try this:

Let's say you want to give $50.00 cash, buy 5 helium balloons with long strings, at the end of strings tie a $10.00 bill. Pack in a LARGE box and tape loosely. Wrap as usual.

On the card please make sure you write "Please open this gift indoors" (You don't want your gift to end up halfway across the country!) When they open their gift, everyone will ooh and aah over the balloons bursting out of the box!

Keep in mind that you will also have to factor in the cost of wrapping paper, bows, balloons, card etc. Total gift cost about $60.00, and they will love the unique way of receiving your gift of money, and will tell the story for years to come and maybe use the idea themselves! (08/24/2005)

By sbolstad

Creative Ways to Give Money as a Gift

My Mother turns 80 today. My brother brought her gift this past weekend. I'll try to describe what he did (I only saw the opened version). He took 80, $1 bills and taped the long side to the next bill leaving about 1/2 inch between. He then took a saltine cracker box and somehow affixed a toilet paper roller in the middle (this is where you'd have to get creative, apparently it was a "working" toilet paper roll & he took it back w/ him so I didn't see how it was rigged). He wound all the dollar bills around the roll and the last bill was taped to the face-only side of a pretty card. The bill roll was inside the cracker box & the card was sticking out the side of the wrapped box w/ "pull here" on it. Mother pulled the card away from the box & pulled & pulled & pulled for all of her 80 $1 bills. She loved it! (08/24/2005)

By nancyec

October 3, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceFebruary 28, 2012
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Making a Snowman Money Holder
Making a Felt Snowman Money Holder
Saving Money a Ski Vacation, Sisters on Ski Vacation
Saving Money a Ski Vacation
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
🎉
🎄