General AdviceConsumer Advice

Keeping a Toilet Seat from Banging When Closed

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop my toilet seat top from banging every time it is closed? The noise is very annoying. I will be grateful for any ideas/suggestions

By Linda

There are replacement seats that lower slowly and don't bang. I got mine at home depot.

Anonymous

A fabric toilet seat top cover, the ones that match bathroom rugs, work wonders. ;-)

Yes. Tell the bangers to stop banging and enforce the rule. I don't care if the culpret is your husband, people need to learn how to live in a house. The problem is not the toilet seat, it is the people who are using it. Don't let your kids grow up to be ill mannered and stop your husband from being a bad example.

Lowering the seat gently instead of letting it drop helps alot. Seriously though a toilet seat cover does help slightly. There are also the self lowering ones you can buy at Home Depot which are completly silent.

Don't you love the lectures? Just by some clear "bumper" type dots and stick them on the underside of the lid. They are self stick. Oughta do it! Cheap enuf if they don't stay long. Hot glue might do it too, just make dots as you glue.

Get a padded toilet seat, sure does help.

Ann.Parker, I'm with you. Your children's future significant others will (or at least, should) appreciate your civilizing influence. Frankly, it's also far more sanitary and safer to lower the toilet lid before you flush. I've personally experienced the "flush mist." I'd rather not have that coating my toothbrush, eww!

Hardware and home improvement stores sell little round felt pads with an adhesive backing. They're designed to put on chair legs to make the chair slide easily and not scratch wood floors. I think they'd do the trick and be a lot cheaper than buying a special seat.