Natural Remedy for Itchy Puppy

I just received a 11 week old teacup maltipoo puppy. I saw a flea on her yesterday, so I took her to the vet and they gave me a flea shampoo. I gave her two flea baths and put Advantix on twice yesterday.

She is still itchy so then they told me to put Excel hydrocortisone spray on her, but she is still itchy. What do I do? I don't want to put anymore chemicals on her, and I have a 1 year old daughter. Please help.

By mshemon from Chicago, IL

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

We give our dog a once a month pill for fleas called Sentinel. There are other things that can cause iching such as shampoos if you have bathed your pup you have to make sure you rinse the shampoo out very well some dogs will get very ichy if any shampoo residue is left on them. Best of luck

Our dog was like that too, and we found it has sensitive skin. We changed the dog food to some sensitive skin food that does not have wheat or corn in it, then our dog quit scratching. Your dog could also have seasonal allergies.

Feed her boiled chicken for a couple of days and see if the itching subsides. She is probably suffering from a yeast, corn or wheat allergy. Find a food that contains real meat not by products in the first three ingredients. I would not use flea shampoo even if it is from the vets. Do not use any kind of oatmeal shampoo if it could be yeast related as the oatmeal will cause the yeast to reproduce. Is she chewing on her feet? I would sprinkle salt on the floors and under sheets and couch cushions and vacuum each day to get rid of flea eggs. The following might be the best article I have found on yeast:

http://www.grea  _mini_course.htm

Good luck!

Pets HealthOctober 4, 2009
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:13:22 PM on 10.0.2.254 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.