Choosing a Good Repair Man

Choosing people to work for you: Three colleagues, all single parents, were discussing the difficulties of finding repairmen who do not rip off single ladies and whose work is above reproach. I was advised by my minister of religion(!), but the repairman turned out to be breaking more things than he fixed! Could someone maybe suggest criteria/indicators/ways of assessing potential repairmen before wasting hard-earned money?

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Carol from Republic of South Africa

Answers

July 27, 2007 Flag

The gas man just came to look at my vintage gas stove, which we had restored. Even though I have had it for years, by watching him and asking questions, I learned a lot I didn't know about my stove and its care. Do you know that older gas stoves are better because they are more adjustable? (He also showed me how to turn off the main gas valve in the event of an earthquake. )

In my experience, repairmen usually love to talk about their work! My mother learned so much about the heating system in our 50's house from the servicemen that she was able to keep it going for 50+ years! We only replaced it after her death. I am sure this gas stove will be here after I am gone, too!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments
Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 1, 2007
Boy dressed in an old man costume.
Making an Old Man Costume
Made from tin cans of various sizes.
Making a Recycled Tin Man
Whirlpool Ice Maker
Whirlpool Ice Maker Not Working
Storing Pineapples, Canning Pineapples. Sliced fresh mini pineapple.
Selecting Good Pineapples
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 5, 2017 at 8:24:48 AM on 10.0.1.156 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.