Reuse Chip Bags as Gift Bags

contest winner icon

If you buy bagged snacks like chips, don't throw the bag away. They make great gift bags. Wash the inside and let dry. When dry, turn inside out and you have a beautiful silver gift bag. Tie the top off with ribbon, put on a pretty bow, and you have a beautiful and frugal gift, wrapped and ready to give.

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

This is a cute and clever idea and recycling anything is always a good thing! It puts me in mind of wrapping gifts with newspaper and this idea is just as clever than that, wait, even more clever :-) Thanks for sharing and a huge thumbs up!

This is a great idea. I do the same with a lots of stuff - envelopes, boxes, etc. but I really like the idea of the shiny silver for gifts. Thanks!

Wow! You should win the prize for thriftiness! I never would've thought of that!

I had emailed Frito Lay about these bags and they have some one using the bags doing the same thing. I had originally asked them if they could be recycled and they replied that's a tough one to answer in a sense beating around the bush, because they don't know what to really do with them.

I couldn't find any kind of a recycle emblem on the bag. Really some one needs to put the pressure on the manufacturer to see why they can't or are they really that bad for the environment. That's quite a "bundle" of this going into our landfills that needs to be recycled.

I have used chip bags for gift bags. This summer a friend of mine was having a birthday bash at a popular mexican restaurant. I had just finished with a bag or tortilla chips and noticed the bag was quite nice. It was the right size for her gift and seemed like a perfect bag. I curled some ribbon and clipped it with the card to the top with a chip clip, added some shreddies for color, since the bag had a nice cello window and some colorful tissue paper. It was a hit!

Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 8, 2009
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Air Filled Packing Bag
Uses for Air Filled Packing Bags
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes