Keeping an Old Butcher Block Clean

I have inherited an old butcher block from a grocery store that opened in the 30's. My father salvaged it during a remodeling project around 1965. It has a sort of film on the surface that makes it feel tacky. I can clean it with a steel wool pad, but it only takes care of it temporarily and it returns in a few days. Any suggestions?

Kelli from Portland, OR

Sand it down and refinish it with a non-toxic finish.

it sounds like someone put some kind of finish on it that shouldn't be used on wood. some oils do that too. some folks mistakenly think cooking oil is good for cutting boards.

i'd sand it down to clean wood.

Years ago I watched a butcher clean a butcher block. He used regular table salt sprinkled on kind of heavy and a rough brush (wire or scrub), and went over them every night at closing time. Good luck.

I dont know but I have an almost idential situation and would love to get feedback from someone who actually worked off a wooden block years ago

I just found this thread because I just spent the afternoon sanding two old blocks with a belt sander. The stickiness is probably old fat from years of meat cutting. My blocks smelled like old prosciutto while I was sanding. I have them baking in the sun right now and you can see the oil rising to the surface

Knife and Butcher Block
Butcher Block Care and Maintenance
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenAugust 10, 2006
Square Triangle Quilt
Squaring Up a Half Square Triangle Quilt Block
Butcher Paper Rolls
Uses for Butcher Paper
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
🎄