Amaryllis Bulb Has No Stalk

My amaryllis bulb is just sprouting leaves, but no stalk. Is that normal?

Sara from Chevy Chase, MD

If the leaves come out first on an Amaryllis you won't get a flower this year. The flower stalk has to come before the leaves. When the weather warms up in the Spring put the bulb outdoors for the Summer. In September stop watering it. Store the bulb in a cool dark place. You may see the stalk start coming after about 6-8 weeks. Bring it out & start watering at that time. If you don't see the stalk coming after storing it, then bring it out & start watering 6 weeks before you want it to bloom. I believe you can do this at any time of the year so can rotate several bulbs so that you always have one in bloom.

There are different types of amaryllis. I've planted mine outside. In the early spring, leaves come out, then they dry, storing the sugars in the bulb. Later in the fall, the stem shoots up and the bulbs bloom. Since mine are outside, I never thought about the watering of them, but we do get a very dry spell in late summer and early fall.

I had an amarylis that did this. I've kept it for a year or two, and put it outside, as I though perhaps it had been damaged, because it was a discount bulb. However, the thing has grown, but never bloomed. I may try what lamico has suggested, as I didn't let the thing go dormant. I do know that my mother has had one for years, that successfully blooms, and she doesn't do anything special with it at all.

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsFebruary 10, 2009
Stuck Light Bulb
Removing a Stuck Light Bulb
Light Bulb Vase
Making a Light Bulb Vase
Growing Amaryllis, Red amaryllis blooms.
Growing Amaryllis
Amaryllis
Transplanting Amaryllis
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 1:48:12 AM on 10.0.2.237 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.