Make Blackberry Jam Without Pectin

When making blackberry jam, you can follow the same recipe as always but omit the pectin. Blackberries have enough natural pectin to set up by themselves. I learned this tip from my grandma, who had always made blackberry jam this way.

By Kay from North Bend, WA

Thanks! I never knew that. Anne

I make jam all summer and autumn long and have never used separate pectin for setting. Lemon can be added to some fruit for extra setting quality, but I've never had to resort to additional pectin. If a fruit is known not to set well, then you only have to make sure you pick some slightly under-ripe fruit and add to the ripe ones for a set to be achieved.

Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
Food and Recipes Canning Condiments & SaucesApril 3, 2011
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
Picking Blackberries
Killing Weeds in a Blackberry Patch
Sour Jam
Fixing Sour Jam