Keeping Dogs Out of the Inside Trash

It is not a major problem for me, but I would like to hear from others about how they keep their big dogs from the trash. Mine won't do it in front of anyone, they wait until our backs are turned. Usually I keep it in the other room, but I would like to learn of any tricks you may have learned.

By Robyn from TN

Try using a bungee cord to hold the lid on. Or get one of those decorative wooden trash containers that you put a removable trash can inside. These come with heavy lids. Or get a small trash container with a lid and keep it on the counter. Empty as needed into the outside can. This is what I do. Since there are only two of us, it gets emptied about every other day.

I have always kept mine inside a cabinet under the sink. And if I have a particularly stubborn dog (or cat like I have now!) I put a hook on the cabinet door so they can't open it. There's only one of me most of the time but I still empty it every nite after doing the dishes.

We keep a spray bottle with a 4/1 water to bleach mixture and spray the trash on top as the bag fills. This keeps our dogs' noses out of the garbage.

We keep our 13 gal (no lid) under the kitchen sink. It's out of sight, and smelly things get bagged (we use wax-paper cereal box inserts or plastic grocery bags)before going in the can. We've always trained our dogs not to enter the kitchen, but one of ours will sneak in if he can get away with it. So, when the bag is too full to remain in the can but isn't full enough to go out, we block the kitchen doorway (we only use a small, inexpensive picture print, but a baby gate would also work) as a reminder of their training. Works for us- hubby's a dog whisperer!

These are such great tips, thank you! Racer

Cat in Knocked Over  Trashcan
Keeping Pets Out of Trash
Pets Dogs Training AdviceJanuary 3, 2010
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
wood trash bin
Homemade Trash Bin Crafts
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden