Keeping Dogs Out of Garbage Cans

Keeping the neighborhood dogs out of your trash can be frustrating. However, the cost of a animal proof can may be a worthwhile investment. Here are some ideas about keeping dogs out of garbage cans.

How do you keep dogs out of outside garbage cans without spending a lot of money? And without harming the dog.

Jason from Leitchfield, KY

Answers

Best Answer

A tight fitting bungie cord should do the trick. I put a garbage can in the back of my truck on it's side and the lid stays on with a bungie cord, even when it's full of yard waste.

By Me (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Are these indoor garbage cans? I keep mine under the kitchen sink so the dogs have no access. There are many inexpensive cans with locking lids if you choose not to. If they are outdoor cans & your dogs have access you can also buy inexpensive cans with locking lids. Mine only cost 10. each. The bungee cord is a good idea too.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Spray bug spray on the cans. One small lick or taste and the dogs will leave it alone. We use to have this problem years and years ago. Where do you all live where dogs are allowed to roam? It is against the law to let your dogs run. We live sort of in the country and the "roaming" during the last 15 years around here has stopped, because, people will call the law.

Do not harm the dogs under any circumstance. It is not the fault of the dog. If it has an owner, go through the law. If not, call animal control and get it trapped and taken away. Remember they are not targeting you, they are just trying to survive!

I got tired of putting my plastic trash bags on the curb on trash night and the dog across the street rummaging through everything and spreading trash all over the place. I put a stop to that by putting Tabasco sauce on the outside of the bag after setting it on the curb. Surprise! The dog now walks way around the trash bags.

By Pamm from Tulsa, OK

Answers:

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

I live out in the country, and between roaming dogs and wild critters, trash left at the road for pickup is a guaranteed mess. Nothing has touched our trash since I started, years ago, spritzing the bags with bleach. Should be cheaper than the Tabasco. (03/10/2006)

By Deb

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

Ammonia works the same way and very cheap. (03/10/2006)

By Randa

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

Instead of having bags on the road, you should get a garbage can with wheels to store it in, most cities and waste pickups require that it is contained. (03/11/2006)

By Kelly

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

I usually use ammonia. Spray that on the garbage after it is sitting at the curb. Works every time! (03/11/2006)

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

Black pepper sprinkled around works, too. It will also work to keep dogs from using the area sprinkled, as a potty area. Makes 'em sneeze awhile. (03/14/2006)

By Brenda Chavis

Keeping the Dogs Out of the Trash

I've tried both Vinegar and Tabasco. My Dog likes them both! I had soaked a dog biscuit in Tabasco and put it in the garbage as a 'Lesson soon learned'; However, it was I that learned the lesson, not her! As well, she seems a little 'dumb' compared to other dogs and would probably eat the mothballs and lick the bleach if I tried those solutions. (12/06/2006)