Advice for Organizing and Selling Off Clutter

I worked for an apt complex for 9 years. Our residents were mostly college students. When they graduated and moved a lot of them left everything behind.

I started gathering up the stuff that was left. I have 18 vacuum cleaners and over 300 T-shirts, as an example of what I have. I've said, "I have found everything except a house and a gun". I gathered too much stuff and now my friends think I am a hoarder. But, I've got so much stuff, I don't know where to begin to get rid of it.

I've been told to take it all to the flea market and sell there. I have a 10 room house, 5 of the rooms are almost completely dedicated to stuff I want to get rid of. Are there garage sale experts who can give me advice?

By Lotzamoxie from Waco, TX

Best Answer

If you don't want to donate or give it away, you can always try Craig's List. Then you don't have to bother hauling the stuff to the flea market, just post the info & sell it. Follow precaution though, don't let them come to your house, arrange to meet them in a public place like the parking lot of your corner convenience store or grocery store or something & don't go alone. Cash only, don't take checks or anything else that can be faked. Here's a link to the Waco website & to their safety suggestions.

Best Answer

Wait until spring and have a garage sale, or yard sale. Run an add in you're town news paper, and sell the best if you need a little cash. Then donate the rest. Don't take checks, ask for cash in your ad. You should make some good cash. You have kept the items this long. So you can surely keep them until spring, Lot of people buy old clothing to make crafts out of.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

My folks owned a "seasonal residential hotel" for many years. The people would come and stay for just one season, and then move on. Usually , they were just considered tourists, but some followed "where the work was". They bought everything new when they came, and left it all sitting there when they packed up the clothing they wanted and left. Sometimes, we'd see them several years in a row just in the summertime.

I'm sure they had homes and I know they didn't always buy the best of everything to use for the time they were in the hotel. When they'd leave though, my parents would call the agency that oversaw "Battered Women" as they were always the most in need of clothing, and household items in order to make a home for their children.

Now, I always find the same outlet for anything I have to share. Those women need everything, and as a rule, they've left abusive situations with nothing except the clothes on their backs and the backs of their children. Very few of them are in a position to find a job yet, but they still need certain things which are just out of their reach.

I urge every woman reading this to consider giving clothing and household items to an agency that will get it all to "Battered Women". No one in our country needs your help more than they do.

With 18 vacuum cleaners and over 300 T-shirts, you could do a lot of good all at once.

'Tis the Season. Donating to those less fortunate would be wonderful. There's: and all your local charities listed in your phone book.

I would agree - donate the accumulated stuff to your local family services agency, or any charity that will come and pick it up. If you have lots and lots, you could split it up amongst them, so everyone gets a piece of the pie.

In our area there are places that do auction sales. You have such a vast amount of stuff, that perhaps that might be the way to go. See if you have any household auction services in your area.

After nine years you are indeed being a hoarder. ;-) As another poster mentioned, 'Tis The Season to donate to help others and the items obviously aren't really useful to you or they would have been gone after each tenant! Salvation Army will pick up for free! If you decide you would like to make a little money from the items then Craigslist is the way to go but make sure you have one or two people with you when strangers are coming to your home for pick up to be on the safe side and 'cash only'!

Have you thought to donate to the Salvation Army or the Vietnam Veterans. They will come to your door to pick the items up.

Post on Craigs list if you want to sell it. Another thing you can do is (yahoo group), in which everything is free. You can list this stuff and have it to where they have to pick up by a certain time line. What isn't picked up, donate to a shelter or even an orphanage. Especially if it's something that works or can be fixed. Or a home for abused families who are in the middle of relocation or something. :)

Coming from a family of level 1 and 2 of hoarders, you would be somewhat considered one with one exception. You seem eager to get rid of this stuff you don't need, but don't want to see it go to waste. Maybe try all these wonderful ideas everybody has posted.

Cluttered Garage
Organizing Clutter
Organizing Clutter ControlNovember 6, 2010
Garage Full of Boxes and Clutter
Getting Rid of Clutter
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
Craft Supplies
Selling Excess Craft Supplies
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay